For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

I had a car that had a paper cert done by a garage that is long gone, I rang Wellington and they advised it was not on record and that I send it to them so they can update their records. Is this still accepted these days or not as I thought at the time it could be made on any computer these days.

BTW the cert was nothing more than a minor engine swap and was a bolt in swap however I changed it from carb to injection as the induction was not mentioned and the engine used came out with both.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, tortron said:

exempt class a means this 

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/licensing-rego/exemptions/exemption-from-paying-registration-and-licensing-fees/

so its exempt from paying normal rego fees, but still needs to be registered. 

Logging truck?

If its a passenger car or something thats somehow ended up on class A status that might be a bit of an annoyance but you should be able to get that updated with a little paperwork. People sometimes/usedto do it to get away with cheap rego, but it would be a fine if you are caught doing it. 

Not a logging truck, anglia van.

I'll have to see how much of a mission it will be to swap it back to normal use.

2 hours ago, holdenman said:

I had a car that had a paper cert done by a garage that is long gone, I rang Wellington and they advised it was not on record and that I send it to them so they can update their records. Is this still accepted these days or not as I thought at the time it could be made on any computer these days.

BTW the cert was nothing more than a minor engine swap and was a bolt in swap however I changed it from carb to injection as the induction was not mentioned and the engine used came out with both.

If the car itself wasn't EFI to begin with it'll require a recert even if there was an EFI option available from factory

• Like 1

4 hours ago, holdenman said:

Vehicle has been changed since declaration and won't match. So it requires cert. 

Anything that matches the declaration will be assessed to general safety requirements and recorded on the plate as such. Anything not listed or that does not match will need to meet current requirements. 

• Like 1

Drilling a hole in far corner of a panel attached to the front side of chassis to fit a intake charge pipe to go behind the bumper- 

I'm assuming this requires a cert as even though I'm "boring" out the existing hole which is like 2.5" in diameter to 3-4 its changing the vehicle structure? Falls under intercooler rules I'm guessing 

Fitted a bucket seat to the Punto but the replacement rails don’t have the attachment for the seat belt clasp.

Do guys just mount them to the trans tunnel with those FIA plates and attach the OG seat belt clasp to that?

7 hours ago, 87creepin said:

Drilling a hole in far corner of a panel attached to the front side of chassis to fit a intake charge pipe to go behind the bumper- 

I'm assuming this requires a cert as even though I'm "boring" out the existing hole which is like 2.5" in diameter to 3-4 its changing the vehicle structure? Falls under intercooler rules I'm guessing 

Technically yes does require cert  

12 minutes ago, Abarth said:

Fitted a bucket seat to the Punto but the replacement rails don’t have the attachment for the seat belt clasp.

Do guys just mount them to the trans tunnel with those FIA plates and attach the OG seat belt clasp to that?

Use the correct doubler plates to mount it to the trans tunnel and get it certified. The standard you need is to follow from half way down page 27 - https://lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Seatbelts_& Seatbelt_Anchorages.pdf

15 minutes ago, Abarth said:

Kk covered the mounting

The hard part is if it is a fixed back bucket with high sides you have to get the belt to fit through the slots 

Which can be tricky to achieve 

• Like 1

I'm really spamming this thread these days.

I'm interested in converting my spring and shock rear to coilover. What needs to be done in terms of strengthening the turret and the mount on the diff.

Here's how the shocks mount to the diff normally:

s-l640.jpg.775e28c994db4c1d25db7f61101d1754.jpg

Here's the turret:

IMG_20210221_174349.jpg.d4a588af020457c07028d14515139359.jpg

And I also have the cage in the rear that I could potentially tie it in to (sorry for this shocking photo, I hope you get the idea):

IMG_20210221_174524.jpg.e09ffdfbac01d6a7897576a74922f482.jpg

Cheers boys.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zep said:

I'm really spamming this thread these days.

I'm interested in converting my spring and shock rear to coilover. What needs to be done in terms of strengthening the turret and the mount on the diff.

Here's how the shocks mount to the diff normally:

s-l640.jpg.775e28c994db4c1d25db7f61101d1754.jpg

Here's the turret:

IMG_20210221_174349.jpg.d4a588af020457c07028d14515139359.jpg

And I also have the cage in the rear that I could potentially tie it in to (sorry for this shocking photo, I hope you get the idea):

IMG_20210221_174524.jpg.e09ffdfbac01d6a7897576a74922f482.jpg

Cheers boys.

Probably something you need to discuss with your certifier to make sure you are on the same page, as that is something that isn't specifically covered in the rule book.

The most common scenario where that mod happens is KP starlets, I've done 3 or 4 of those where that mod has been done and the usual method is some strengthening the top shock mount = stitch welding the joints in the oe panel, making a brace that goes between the two top mounts and ties it back down to the floor which has a crossmember underneath 

If you can tie it into the cage that would be good if the bars are in a suitable place

The lower mount looks fairly strong as is so maybe a bit of extra welding for peace of mind