For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is how do I demonstrate that I have a minimum of 1.5 times the thread engaged?

what you suggested is fine, one 3mm hole is what the rulebook says as a suggestion

its not a requirement, none of the common aftermarket arms i see have an inspection hole. if theres any doubt or its an unknown brand or design i just pull one out and check it.

photo next to a ruler is a good idea

• Like 1

Hi Clint,

After doing some research on interwebs for brake upgrades for 240z the most common recipe seems to be hilux 4 pots with a 300zx disc and a spacer to space disc back.

The discs bolt to the back of the hub. Apparently they need a 15mm spacer or some such.

I bought someones old setup off trademe that had some hilux calipers and some unknown disc that has been re drilled to fit the bolt pattern on back of hub (4x102 or something) and have and have had the center machined out to fit over back of hub. And uses a small 8mm spacer. I am not happy with the way this has done as it looks a bit rough.

300zx disc and spacer. If you can imagine this bolting to the back of the 240 hub:

90300zx-brake-Mod.jpg

Is this spacing of the disc legal here?

Is there a requirement for the spacer to be made of certain grade alloy etc?

Would grade of bolts should be used to hold disc to hub. 12.9?

Thanks

hey clint,

I have a certed 88" ld28 s2a chassis/truck with a rotten chassis,

I'd like to put 109" chassis under all the bits I have,

the list

ld28 + t

dual mq safari boxes

safari diffs on std lr leaf springs (parabolic conversion)

station wagon to truck cab conversion

12v tipper deck

big tires

my question is mainly based around the swb to lwb conversion of the chassis as upon recert I don't want to be stonewalled due to the swap as it would no longer be the original chassis although it would have been a factory delivered option to choose chassis length at point of sale?

any thoughts?

What are the WOF requirements for a motorcycle rear guard? I'm guessing you need something, does it need to cover a certain % of tyre or anything? I've seen several sports bikes which appear to have no rear guard at all from factory, but assuming same rules don't apply to modifications.

Cheers

What are the WOF requirements for a motorcycle rear guard? I'm guessing you need something, does it need to cover a certain % of tyre or anything? I've seen several sports bikes which appear to have no rear guard at all from factory, but assuming same rules don't apply to modifications.

Cheers

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof/motorcycles/tyres,-wheels-and-hubs/mudguards

so i figured this was the best place to put this, im looking at gettint my originally seatbelts recond as they have sweet clasps and the ford telstar belts currently installed arnt ideal. 

a while ago when i was looking at the belts i noticed they were made my Takata, the guys that do the cool green racing belts, and ive always wanted to fit full belts for that look, but its not legal and nearly impossible without a roll cage, but then i got thinking that it would look just as cool to find someone to re belt them with the green belting. 

and now we arrive at my question, is it legal to have someone (who can do it properly) stick a patch onto seatbelts, so i could have the takata logos, in the same style as full harnesses 

231923739_takatamichellecarrera.jpg

Hi Clint,

After doing some research on interwebs for brake upgrades for 240z the most common recipe seems to be hilux 4 pots with a 300zx disc and a spacer to space disc back.

The discs bolt to the back of the hub. Apparently they need a 15mm spacer or some such.

I bought someones old setup off trademe that had some hilux calipers and some unknown disc that has been re drilled to fit the bolt pattern on back of hub (4x102 or something) and have and have had the center machined out to fit over back of hub. And uses a small 8mm spacer. I am not happy with the way this has done as it looks a bit rough.

300zx disc and spacer. If you can imagine this bolting to the back of the 240 hub:

Is this spacing of the disc legal here?

Is there a requirement for the spacer to be made of certain grade alloy etc?

Would grade of bolts should be used to hold disc to hub. 12.9?

Thanks

cant see why you couldnt, no different from having a wheel spacer theres just less load going through it.

there is no specific set of rules for using a spacer behind a disc so just use common sense-  spacer fits snugly on center of hub,  use bolts with a shank through the disc and spacer- etc.

• Like 1

hey clint,

I have a certed 88" ld28 s2a chassis/truck with a rotten chassis,

I'd like to put 109" chassis under all the bits I have,

the list

ld28 + t

dual mq safari boxes

safari diffs on std lr leaf springs (parabolic conversion)

station wagon to truck cab conversion

12v tipper deck

big tires

my question is mainly based around the swb to lwb conversion of the chassis as upon recert I don't want to be stonewalled due to the swap as it would no longer be the original chassis although it would have been a factory delivered option to choose chassis length at point of sale?

any thoughts?

there has been a recent rule change to make this sort of thing easier- there should be an infosheet available soon on lvvta.org.nz, i got a copy the other day.

i have had trouble over the same mod on a landrover (s-wagon converted to ute using all factory landrover panels)  lvvta say because the cab is modified, the upper belt anchorages have to meet LVV  specs, and they say the factory landrover ones dont, they dont think they are strong enough. so they want a roll cage fitted to mount the belts off. which IMO is not practical as the cab space is limited which raises interior impact issues with bashing your head on the roll bar. also the support bars are very difficult, if they go foward they get in the way of your hip and make access to the cab difficult, and if they go back it has to go thru the cab and to the chassis, which makes a tip tray difficult.

still havnt finished that one, owner was going  to try some other way of doing it.....

so i figured this was the best place to put this, im looking at gettint my originally seatbelts recond as they have sweet clasps and the ford telstar belts currently installed arnt ideal. 

a while ago when i was looking at the belts i noticed they were made my Takata, the guys that do the cool green racing belts, and ive always wanted to fit full belts for that look, but its not legal and nearly impossible without a roll cage, but then i got thinking that it would look just as cool to find someone to re belt them with the green belting. 

and now we arrive at my question, is it legal to have someone (who can do it properly) stick a patch onto seatbelts, so i could have the takata logos, in the same style as full harnesses 

in short, no. seatbelts cant be modified.

you can buy new belts that are different colours but there is nobody in new zealand who can modify them, autoliv in auckland used to but they shut up shop and went back to oz

Modification

14. A seatbelt must not have been modified (Note 14) since 1 January 1992, except where:

a) the modification is approved by the seatbelt or vehicle manufacturer

B) the seatbelt has been modified temporarily to accommodate a child restraint, provided the modification:

i. does not affect the performance of the child restraint, and

ii. is not likely to cause injury to a vehicle occupant, and

iii. does not cause damage to the seatbelt.

yeah cheers fella you're a star.

as far as cage design goes ,

will they be looking for engineering calcs to prove point load ratings for the belts?

or will plenty of overkill and triangulation suffice.

was planning on using heavy wall steam tube and bends where possible and then my hydraulic bender for the main hoops and larger radius stuff

the guy i work for recently had trouble getting a cage in a beach buggy legal because it didnt match what the hobby car manual said, despite being stronger than the one on the book (it was a 6 point cage, the one in the book is a 4 point roll bar)

engineering calcs would make life a lot easier come cert time.

So my car had no WOF or rego so i took it for a WOF and failed while i was fixing the stuff up i was driving it round as i had no other car to use then i got 2 parking tickets for no WOF or rego ($200 each) so i sent them an email and the council wouldn't budge saying that i had been driving the car with no WOF or rego. Do i have a way to get off these? or should i man up and pay them? I thought you were okay to drive around when you were fixing it? i had it booked into a few places to get it fixed during the 28day (and got my work in the 28days) for a recheck and its not like i could have walked to work/everywhere i needed to go as thats 15kms to work.

Anyone know how i could tell my friendly local council to kindly get fucked?

Hopefully this makes sense haha