For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wof fails for surface rust on suspension arms and subframe. Is this a thing these days? Not even pitting, bubbling or scabs. Just surface rust.

The mechanic told Andrew he would have to scrap the car as it is not worth fixing. I went back with him and they put the car on the hoist to show me the rust.

What they claimed was rust on the firewall was just cavity wax.

What they claimed was insane rust on the subframe was just a buildup of oil leaks and stones over years.

They said the wheel was about to fall off - no way in hell at all. A quick buff and coat of paint and it would be literally as new.

/They should really have failed the car on rust around the windscreen though but they didn't even mention it.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

Get him to watch his training video, kia kaha road to zero 

4.38 is the bit 

Rust is not corrosion damage. Corrosion damage is pitting, heave, bleed, a hole. Minor surface rust like a stone chip is just rust. 

Best to send his inspector number off to ensure he is up to date with his training :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yuriys WoF - he was saying he was burnt by rust last year.

Andrew is currently going over the whole bottom half of the car with a wire brush and will give it some black zinc paint afterwards.

Literally only surface rust, looks a whole lot better after a quick brushing off.

/It will be good for Andrew to learn some more practical skills and protect the car at the same time.

Who does brake rotor skimming around here? The front rotors are pretty bad but still have 95% wear available so should get away with a skim and new pads. Alternatively he can just spend a few buck and use my trade account to get new rotors 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ajg193 said:

Who does brake rotor skimming around here? The front rotors are pretty bad but still have 95% wear available so should get away with a skim and new pads. Alternatively he can just spend a few buck and use my trade account to get new rotors 

Undercar Service Centre did all the brake work on my diff before they moved to Hayton Road, skimming some rotors would easy for them i'd say. They skimmed my drums and rebuilt the lot including supply of new master. Good service IMO.

/thought you had a lathe :P 

• Like 1

hmmm id heard nothing but good things about him and is pretty close to me.

fired a request for a quote for timing belt on wifes new to her '13 volvo v40 - couldnt find the parts??? on volvos infamous modular motor???? that uses the same timing belt for the 4-5-6cyl variant engines????? theres a volvo dealer in town????????? 

pass thanks.. ill just do it myself :doubt:

On 01/10/2023 at 18:25, Bearded Baldy said:

Report him anyway. Being burned is no excuse to be over zealous.

How many other cars has he condemned that are more than likely ok?

Agreed. Almost sounds like he was of the opinion that it was an old car that no one would care about, so rather than put his name to it, it should be scrapped. I hate that attitude, my wife got it a lot with her Alto years ago and I'll no doubt encounter it with the Marina at some point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Andrew has been working on cleaning off the surface rust and recoating with some black zinc. Literally no pitting at all. I fail to see how the corrosion is a safety issue if it can be fixed with paint.

Will sort the brakes out this week and then take it back.

I think the main issue is that they just pump the wofs out at full speed so never actually stop to closely inspect anything.

When I got him to put it onto the hoist to show me the "completely corroded" suspension mounts on the subframe I immediately pointed out that the nut holding the lower control arm to the car was loose (and had been loose since before Andrew got the car). How the inspector could possibly have missed it is beyond my comprehension.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

On 19/09/2023 at 15:21, Bearded Baldy said:

Question for the cert guru/s.

On the old falcons i can buy a rear swaybar kit. Ubolts onto the diff and requires drilling through the chassis in factory spot to fit the upper link mount.

Would it be certifiable to make 3mm steel mount plates to weld to the diff, and instead of drilling the chassis to weld the link mounts on?

Am trying to find a decent pic online to show the setup...

Sounds like that's always been there from factory.

Especially since it's the same colour and covered in road grime and what not from many years of driving etc

• Like 3
  • Haha 1