For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the story with seatbelts for vin/cert.

Can i use the american ones or do i need NZ ones?

Also Accuair E Level assume its all the same for cert as per a normal bag set up just needs lock out while in motion? 

Also Accuair E Level assume its all the same for cert as per a normal bag set up just needs lock out while in motion? 

On my 64, I got through vin check with just the original US lap belts in front.

Think it might be different for cert though.

with regaurd to having to certify adjustable suspension due to ride height being able to be changed.

can you install a set of adjustables, set them how you like (above 100mm) and then somehow make them permanent? as in weld the collars (probably cant weld them) or something along those lines?

I have a Toyota soarer that i want to lower and adjustable suspension is pretty much the same price as lowering springs and new shocks, but i dont want the hassle of cert, and i dont want to be able to change the height etc etc

cheers,

wait are you telling me you now need cert for simple lowering springs?? 

im just looking for the most cost effective way to lower the car and give a slightly firmer ride, and i hear that soarer factory shocks dont really take well to lowering springs, but this could be internet myths

wait are you telling me you now need cert for simple lowering springs?? 

no thats not what I said. What I meant was is I dont think its just the adjustablility that puts it into cert territory, I would suspect that if you change the struts from oem to aftermarket you would meet the cert requirements regardless if you made them fixed or not.

cert in not reqd if;

the springs or shock absorbers are direct replacements, and

replacement springs are contained within unmodified OE seats throughout full suspension travel, and

replacement springs are self-retaining in their seats at full extension, without the use of non-standard devices such as wire-ties, straps, or external spring locators, and

replacement springs have not been heated or cut, and

springs and spring seats are not height adjustable by any means (unless OE), and

replacement shock absorbers, including air-adjustable units, fit unmodified OE mountings, and

suspension maintains sufficient travel for safe operation when fully laden, and

suspension components maintain sufficient clearance from unmodified bumpstops when fully laden, and

a minimum of 100mm ground clearance (unladen and without driver) exists below any part of the vehicle structure, or any steering, braking or suspension component2, and

the normal relationship between front and rear suspension height is not unduly affected.

2 Does not include such items as exhaust pipes and exterior body panels that do not contribute to the structural strength of the vehicle.

https://agentvpn.nzta.govt.nz/PT/http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/steering-and-suspension/steering-and-suspension-systems

It's going to make him scratch his head anyway and cause you problems.

This^, to me, in theory it sounds legal, but its hard enough getting your certed 80mm ride height a wof without "the man" getting pissy cos he cant fit his 100mm block under it

the soarer is jacked as hell at the moment, im not gonna be rolling super slammed because its a highway car and the speed bumps in blenheim are like 3ft tall, but i just want it to ride nice through the hills and look nicer when i swap the wheels out.

hopefuly clint will be along soon, but from reading ltsa stuff i cant see how it would be an issue, apart from perhaps the welding of suspension components.

exploring all my options anyway

Ok spoke to compliance guy in New Lynn this morning about my cut out VIN from the firewall, and he basically said to be 100% legit get a new VIN reassigned.

Said it has to be done by the right person at VTNZ, and then should be all sweet. Would that be enough for LV certificate purposes?

ha, the number plate is ftp.

Is there a minimum height for a motorcycle?

not that i can find, the VIRM doesnt mention anything about 100mm minimum, and theres nothing in the cert book about motorsicles

they can be either- as long as they have a safety standard on them or they are the original GM ones in good condition, they will be ok.

E level thing- no operate bags while moving, easiest way to do this is wire it to the inhibitor switch so it only works in park or neutral. you can have it so it works up to 20kph but then it has to automatically go to a preset level once you get to 20kph. i dont know anyone who has done this though, as 95% of the population fiddles with it after cert so it works all the time anyway

• Like 1

cheers cletus the man with the answers as per usual!!

Is there any other things we should know about bags? saw someone posting somewhere that they got pulled up for not p clipping lines every 300mm? Any other painful little things taht should know about before installation?