The Alternative Modern Motors thread

Roman

8 hours ago, GARDRB said:

I don't want to rain on your parade if you were considering using the E-series toyota box with the K24, but I talked to the K24 to E-series adapter guy that does all the MR2 kits when I was considering doing a k24 into an ae104 wagon and he said he's looked into it and the K24 block will not play nicely with the Toyota transfer case. He recommended going to CRV gear.

5 hours ago, mjrstar said:

Convert the k24 to run Volkswagen dsg, there are kits.

So looking at the DSG conversion Pic

Tegiwa-EnduranceNSX-5.jpg

The output does look pretty close to the Block not sure how much further the GT4 Transfer case sits out but your right it may not fit or may need to see if shaving the block is an option (not ideal tho)

The CRV AWD box doesn't have a center diff like the GT4 Box and after reading up it sounds like the front transfer case does run full time and the load to the rear is controlled by a clutch pack to the rear diff (rear diff can't handle full time AWD)

Considering I spent 2.5k on a front LSD for the GT4 box not including install and bearings etc, I am hesitant to change boxes (I could always swap back to a Bellhousing to suit the 3S again rather then the 4a) and try move it on still keen to see if I can make it work

Seems to be a 80:20 split to the rear which isn't great on the CRV box, few options for Transfer case upgrades to hold big power but also with a big price tag. Trying to track down info on what a factory transfer case will handle :s

Edit, Can't get confirmation on what power the 5/6speed will handle (talk of 400hp) waiting to find out what power the transfer case can hold, though Humble performance claim 600hp on a K series Box

Might have to go grab a box/motor from a wrecker here will see what the weather is like this weekend

Bmw B58 will be a goodie, it’s in pretty much every platform they make. Just wait for the rest of the car to depreciate around it.

10 years old in 2025. What’s peak depreciation? 15 years?

Edit wow pretty light too - 139kg.

The 8hp trans they are attached to looks like a really well supported thing too. 

https://youtu.be/n5hSrXZ18cA?si=sE7ImVMGbkfQbYox

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, mjrstar said:

The golf R32 engine has intrigued me, I haven't done any real research, so it's probably a garbage idea for some reason, and is probably not ideal for high rpm, but from a capacity vs physical size, it could be alright...

it seems like a likely candidate for a +t conversion, just check out the head gasket surface area between the bores,  and the number of head studs.. (2 things not easily changed on an engine)

Screenshot_20240407_210720_Facebook.jpg

Snap! Have been dreaming of jamming one in the Fiat 1500..

• Like 1

GM 4.3 Liter V6 EcoTec3 LV3 Engine keen to slip one of these into my commodore when the 500000k ecotec dies under the turbo.

Not seen any for sale yet.

Displacement: 4301 cc (262 ci)

Engine Orientation: Longitudinal

Compression ratio: 11.0:1

Valve configuration: Overhead valves

Valves per cylinder: 2

Assembly site: Tonawanda, New York and Ramos, Mexico

Valve lifters: Hydraulic roller

Firing order: 1 – 6 – 5 – 4 – 3 – 2

Bore x Stroke: 99.6 x 92mm

Fuel system: Spark Ignition Direct Injection (SIDI)

Fuel type: Regular unleaded and E85

Maximum Engine Speed: 5800 RPM

Emissions controls

Evaporative Emissions

Bin 4 emissions

Returnless fuel system

Horsepower hp (kw)

Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra: 285 hp (213 kw) @ 5300 RPM SAE Certified

Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra: 297 hp (221 kW) @ 5300 RPM SAE Certified – E85

Torque lb.-ft. (Nm)

Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra: 305 lb.-ft (413 Nm) @ 3900 RPM SAE Certified

Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra: 330 lb-ft (447 Nm) @ 3900 RPM SAE Certified – E85

Materials

Block: Cast Aluminum

Cylinder head: Cast Aluminum

Intake manifold: Composite

Exhaust manifold: Cast Nodular Iron

Main bearing caps: Powder Metal

Crankshaft: Forged Steel

Camshaft: Billet Steel

Connecting rods: Powder Metal

Additional features

Active Fuel Management (AFM)

Variable Valve Timing (VVT)

E85 Flex Fuel

Electronic throttle control

Extended life accessory drive belt

Extended life coolant

Extended life spark plugs

Oil Life Monitor System

Dexos 5W30

Dual-pressure control and variable displacement oil pump

58x crank timing

Screenshot_20240408_194453_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Muncie said:

GM 4.3 Liter V6 EcoTec3 LV3 Engine keen to slip one of these into my commodore when the 500000k ecotec dies under the turbo.

Not seen any for sale yet.

What do these come in locally? the newer Commodores? I could have a look at local wreckers here in Ozzie land

Apparently you can use LT parts on them like manifolds and lop 2 cylinders off. vvt sounds extra cool for a push rod donk. Saw a cranky one pop up on insty sounded fierce!

• Like 2

On 08/04/2024 at 19:47, shrike said:

What do these come in locally? the newer Commodores? I could have a look at local wreckers here in Ozzie land

New (ZB) fwd Commodores have the GM LTG 2.0. turbs. Makes 191kw, and I believe they have lots of room for improvement. I wanted to put one in my Gemini, but they are pretty tall so it wouldn't fit without a fully custom cross-member and relocating the steering rack. The same engine comes in the Equinox which is AWD.

Usually a bunch of crashed cop cars on some of the wrecked car auctions.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...