Truenotch's 1997 Toyota GranV - Francis Jellybean

Truenotch

1 minute ago, Truenotch said:

I have access to a 4wd dyno too... so mods will likely happen. Wouldn't mind unlocking some zututus. 

Butt dyno says my SC picked up a decent bit of mid range with the exhaust and it really improved fuel economy.

But even if it hadn't made more power, the extra turbo sounds were well worth the effort!

Are these the later E throttle version or the cable to TB?

If cable type I bet the spindle seals are rock hard and leaking like fuck too.

I did EGR delete, intake clean out, catch can etc at the same time, made a rather noticeable improvement to economy.

Full 3" exhaust made an even bigger improvement, then injectors and slightly thinner headgasket when I did the head helped a LOT.

Think the last trip I did was averaging low 9L/100k open road with some decent hills and twisty bits etc thrown in, totally stock I think it was something closer to 14L/100k but that was nothing cause diesel was under 90c a litre ha.

• Like 6

Ahhh I've never considered a van for towing capabilities before.!
That is actually a really good idea for what isnt just a single use vehicle (tow car) 
aaannnndddd if it's a camper you can sleep in the damn thing at the race track. 
You are a genius. 
What's the tow rating on a van like this? 

• Like 4

I haven't even checked the tow rating @Roman, but it has 6 stud wheels, decent sized brakes and a substantial tow bar, so it'll be fine (compared to my 3.0 manual Legacy). The tow rating might drop compared to a Hiace as these have IRS with coil springs, so might get a bit saggy? But it also handles way better than a Hiace.

So far fuel economy is decent for a 4WD auto van @Raizer. It was 10-11L/100km on the open road and ~14 around town. I also unlocked full power by removing the thick ass driver's floor mat. That'll get a trim before it goes back in.

• Like 3

If you're gonna tow with a 1kz you need to make sure your cooling is tip top, 3" turbo back helps a lot for cool running as does the prado 82deg stat, check your fan for oil, I added a fairly high weight oil as opposed to the factory 10cst meant that when the fan came on there wasn't much slippage.. I also put in a redline 4 core rad as factory they're average, for the surf anyway. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Add the 10 blade fan from the late Hilux to that list too, big upgrade from the stock 7 blades.

/I'm personally now in the mindset of not changing oil in the viscous hubs and just replace with a good quality new one and the 10 blade fan, 99% sure the hub is what lead to having to pull the new head etc back off mine at @Geophy's place back in May, had fresh heavier oil in but the actual hub had failed even through it looked perfect inside and out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I tried the 1kd blue hub (brand new from toyota) on mine but didn't even make it halfway up takaka hill with an empty trailer before the guage started moving, went back to the kzn165 hub that I put on and had no more dramas (apart from my driving style) 10000cst oil didn't really help much so I bought 30000cst from acorn models and went about 50/50 with 10000cst, when it came fully on it would sap a bit of power but fuck it moved some air... had the 10 blade fan and also a B&M trans cooler with thermo fan.. 

The main problem I found with hill towing was low speed and not enough air flowing over the interheater so everything would slowly heat soak, I was about to start spraying water over the cooler to see if that helped but the car got nicked.... Problem solved

• Like 4

I find it interesting that they need such a big fan. Is that just a Hiace thing because of the radiator location? Or do Surf's and Hiluxes have the same issues?

The Granvia rad sits way up the front and has sat under halfway for all the driving I've done so far. 

• Like 1

They kind did, but the surf had a thinner radiator and smaller fan from the start, prado and hilux both had thicker radiators and fans with the prado having a cooler stat but they all still had issues at some point with a lot of it coming back to the the viscous hub/cooling system condition (and diving style) My 1kz managed to do 360km with its original head but I put that down to me being proactive for the last 120km and taking all steps to avert overheating. When I first bought it in 2013, the gauge would move when overtaking a semi trailer on the open road but I never let it get into the red, they don't use speed for cooling, it's all down to the fan and in the end for me it was only my heavy foot with a load on that would cause the gauge to move, that and the low speed thing which I thick is fixable also. The other thing that you should use is a egt gauge that way you know exactly what's going on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1