Battery drill/dugga recommendations

ThePog

My nice Metabo drill has finally shat today, leaving me with only my dugga and grinder in that set and 3 average batteries.

I paid proper money for it and am happy to do so again for a top quality set, has anyone got any recommendations?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You wanting just a drill or to replace the dugga aswell? I wonder if you can buy adaptors for say Milwaukee battery to Metabo. Could just grab a drill kit then and run the other Metabo gear off the new batteries. 

These guys are parallel importers, but I tend to buy half my gear from them because overpriced via official importer / channel.

https://www.i-tools.co.nz/collections/milwaukee-m18/products/milwaukee-2804-20-m18-fuel-12-brushless-hammer-drill-kit

I have that drill, but I grabbed it as a skin as already have some gear. Goes pretty well. Purchased it as I needed to add some 100mm holes to a metal cabinet + MDF, no worries doing that.

Then perhaps one of these? I haven't gone deep, could be better / cheaper options. Assuming your gear is 18V too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004132882705.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.21.3fc35ef1VwSimq&algo_pvid=864618c4-bb05-4619-a739-020689763859&algo_exp_id=864618c4-bb05-4619-a739-020689763859-10&pdp_npi=3%40dis!NZD!44.43!28.87!!!!!%40211bf3f716808541855892097d06c0!12000028141691971!sea!NZ!116624700&curPageLogUid=y1ov6nT4H4UJ

5 minutes ago, Bling said:

You wanting just a drill or to replace the dugga aswell? I wonder if you can buy adaptors for say Milwaukee battery to Metabo. Could just grab a drill kit then and run the other Metabo gear off the new batteries. 

These guys are parallel importers, but I tend to buy half my gear from them because overpriced via official importer / channel.

https://www.i-tools.co.nz/collections/milwaukee-m18/products/milwaukee-2804-20-m18-fuel-12-brushless-hammer-drill-kit

I have that drill, but I grabbed it as a skin as already have some gear. Goes pretty well. Purchased it as I needed to add some 100mm holes to a metal cabinet + MDF, no worries doing that.

Then perhaps one of these? I haven't gone deep, could be better / cheaper options. Assuming your gear is 18V too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004132882705.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.21.3fc35ef1VwSimq&algo_pvid=864618c4-bb05-4619-a739-020689763859&algo_exp_id=864618c4-bb05-4619-a739-020689763859-10&pdp_npi=3%40dis!NZD!44.43!28.87!!!!!%40211bf3f716808541855892097d06c0!12000028141691971!sea!NZ!116624700&curPageLogUid=y1ov6nT4H4UJ

Its all pretty slogged out, its all had 10 years of full on use, so probably need to start fresh. The grinder is still ok and with 3x batteries it should keep it going, plus I am kindof needing a wee circular saw and a power wrench thingy.

Over the years I've had a great run out of a comprehensive set of cordless Hitachi/Hikoki power tools . I particularly like how they've kept their move to 36 Volt backwards compatible, they get my vote.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sr2 said:

Over the years I've had a great run out of a comprehensive set of cordless Hitachi/Hikoki power tools . I particularly like how they've kept their move to 36 Volt backwards compatible, they get my vote.

Yea I have those boys for my wired grinders, I have one small one with a sanding disc and a big one with a cutting disc, they go hard etc. In fact the wee hikoki ran for 3 or 4 months with a cracked gearbox housing, just got a bit noisy...

• Like 1

Have used hitachi/hikoki, bosch amd milwaukee 18v. For heavy abuse drilling through thick steel on the daily I wouldn't bother with anything but the milwaukee one. Ugga dugga impact guns go well, the only issue I have sometimes is if they are accidentally out in direct sunlight, the batteries can overheat pretty quickly (obviously be mindful of where you leave them). My 2c.

3 minutes ago, Taistorm said:

Have used hitachi/hikoki, bosch amd milwaukee 18v. For heavy abuse drilling through thick steel on the daily I wouldn't bother with anything but the milwaukee one. Ugga dugga impact guns go well, the only issue I have sometimes is if they are accidentally out in direct sunlight, the batteries can overheat pretty quickly (obviously be mindful of where you leave them). My 2c.

Yea i give that shit a hard time, plenty of big drills into thick steel, good wrist breaking efforts.

I have been leaning towards the Milwaukee.

Would need to venture to Tool Shed for that carry on.

/doesn't look like they have combos in stock though

Circ saw is sweet, I only have 12v saw, but it sure makes life easier when paired with a decent capacity battery.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bling said:

Would need to venture to Tool Shed for that carry on.

/doesn't look like they have combos in stock though

Circ saw is sweet, I only have 12v saw, but it sure makes life easier when paired with a decent capacity battery.

Looks plausible that they will be open tomorrow.

Screenshot_20230407-213852.png

• Like 1

What I like about Milwaukee is they do a 12Ah battery. Not cheap, (or super light) but they just go and go and go. 

I had to give all my Milwaukee shit back at the end of my old job. But I abused the fuck out of it, and it took it. Plus the grinder (125mm) was beautifully balanced smoother to hold than most of my plug in ones.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Positive Ape said:

how much, ow?

A bit more than a grand :-(

But it was on special. I couldnt bring myself to buy the other bits I wanted, maybe next month if the business is still cranking.

I definitely couldnt have hidden the 3.5k for the full beans kit.

18 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

What I like about Milwaukee is they do a 12Ah battery. Not cheap, (or super light) but they just go and go and go. 

I had to give all my Milwaukee shit back at the end of my old job. But I abused the fuck out of it, and it took it. Plus the grinder (125mm) was beautifully balanced smoother to hold than most of my plug in ones.

Had Hitachi to start with but decided to switch to Milwaukee around 17' Nothing wrong with Hitachi but I reckon maybe it was going through the transition to hikoki so the range wasnt that great hence going to Milwaukee. 
man i rate Milwaukee hard, good batteries ( had a couple issue with the 6ah 12v and 12 ah 18v but they were replaced under warranty) the skins have all been mint. ive dropped them from multi metre height and they dont give a fuck.
only downside is the batteries where if they take too much punsihment the tiny screw posts crack and the top seperates from the bottom. 
easily fixed by using some plastic weld.
Also every store seems to have milwaukee so support is pretty easy. 

i have like 20+ skins now. pretty happy with them tbh

• Like 2

Bit late of an entry to this discussion, but about two weeks ago I replaced my Ryobi stuff with Makita - batteries felt like they were slowly going south after 6 years.

I spent a fair bit of time shopping around online to figure best price matches. M10 Ferrymead has a really smart system, where they automatically have in-store deals that match the lowest available prices so I ended up going to Papanui to get them to price beat competitors on most of the stuff.

image.png.59fec9f66ca8489e45871c285548dd82.png

I bought the DLX2416TX2 kit from Bunnings: Hammer drill, impact, 3x 5Ah batteries and charger.  The third battery came via the redemption promotion and only took like a week to arrive. I could have gotten the 2131T kit for $100 less with price beat but they would have been even weaker tools and only 2x batteries.

Those kit tools definitely aren't the gruntiest, but I didn't need all out power.

Remaining tools I got decent kit and managed to wrangle out a decent price beat on them all, saving about $250 for the lot.

One thing of note is the kit I got from bunnings is advertised as having a rapid charger but it actually included a standard charger. I'm not too fussed about this, but have emailed Makita anyway, maybe I will hear something back.

47 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

M10 Ferrymead has a really smart system, where they automatically have in-store deals that match the lowest available prices

That's a sneaky trick on their part to eliminate the 15% off price match deal.

• Like 1