Battery drill/dugga recommendations

ThePog

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ajg193 said:

But yeah, my Ryobi gear was all 2015/16 stuff and was actually quite good for what it was, the new ryobi stuff doesn't look half as well built

Dont tell me that, all my stuff is about that age too!

1 hour ago, ajg193 said:

Different brand, Makita only does 18V and 40V separately. Gotta be careful with those dual voltage batteries

He is only talking about the Hikoki gear that run both voltage batteries. Never tried it myself, pretty sweet that they built the batteries to work both ways. 

I tend to get Ryobi for most things these days. Mainly garden tools as their range is top notch for the pricing. But still have the odd garage tool too. I'd buy all team red if they didn't cost 2-4x* as much quite often. *unless buying from i-tools, then often in same ballpark as Ryobi.

• Thanks 1

Welcome to Milwaukee. As @RUNAMUCK says the grinders are awesome. I still have my original one from the kit and I cant kill it. Awesome for tidying up welds with a flapper wheel.

If you work with timber the multitool is a must have. The leaf blower is also a great piece of kit, you will never use a broom to sweep again and they are sweet for helping a fire to take hold.

I have just purchased the grease gun. Love it. Makes those pesky pre start proceedures much more enjoyable.

The milwaukee grinder is pretty handy but I find that you burn through batteries far too quick. Works well for small jobs or on site but if I have access to a power lead, I'd rather use a cord grinder. The Hikoki 125s are pretty sweet and can handle long days of grinding disc abuse.

• Like 1

The Metabo grinder in my previous set is still sweet, but I go corded for anything serious for sure.

Been using the red boys a bit this week, they go hard. 80mm hole saw into 3mm steel makes for a fun time lols.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Taistorm said:

The milwaukee grinder is pretty handy but I find that you burn through batteries far too quick. Works well for small jobs or on site but if I have access to a power lead, I'd rather use a cord grinder. The Hikoki 125s are pretty sweet and can handle long days of grinding disc abuse.

My brother melted the brush holders on both of his Hikoki battery grinders, not even particularly heavy use - he has about 5 corded grinders for the heavy stuff.

3 hours ago, ajg193 said:

My brother melted the brush holders on both of his Hikoki battery grinders, not even particularly heavy use - he has about 5 corded grinders for the heavy stuff.

I meant the hikoki corded grinder! Have had a couple which haven't failed from about 3-5years abuse. Definitely wouldn't use battery powered grinders for heavy use.

• Like 1

On 12/04/2023 at 17:19, ajg193 said:

Yep was a common problem, my boys at work did more than there fair share.

I find it interesting that both these brands are not mentioned here

DeWalt 54v flexvolt at work, cordless grinder goes hard even when leant on, I know your metabo one would give up when you start leaning on it. We are slowly building up a full set, The battery vacuum cleaner has been a godsend

Full AEG set at home, and its been fucking awesome, grinder doesn't have as much grunt but that's to be expected

18 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

The old boy got given a full kit of older dewalt gear. The batteries were chooched. (NiCad lyfe) he found an adapter on Aliexpress to plug his dewalt Li batter's into them. They seem to got quite well. The skill saw is mint.

@RUNAMUCK what model number is the skill saw? (i'm torn between buying one or adapting my hitachi as i have 3 brands here now)

I've got old dewalt (made in Mexico) grinder, drill, massive 1/2 drive rattle gun(will never part with)  the grinder weighs nearly 1kg more than the modern brushed makita grinder i have. i just bought (not received yet) an adapter to go to the Makita battery.  (goes by "MAK1820" if anyone is doing similar) 

I've also bought some makita "DIY power wheels etc adapters" because i've got old Hitachi post type(made in Japan) with dead batteries . I'm either going to screw straight to the tool itself or to a battery case. 
there's no "protection" circuit in this case, but the battery BMS has some smarts in it to shut off before too flat/hot etc.