Roman's 4GR V6 Carina discussion thread

Roman

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, keltik said:

Got a seized Mazda 3 here with the older LF engine.  

dhBYIXX.jpeg

Would that bolt on underneath your oil pan adaptor?

(The 2.3L L3 engine has the same filter housing but with an oil cooler opposite the filter pointing upwards).

Found this on a Mazda 6.

Not 100% cconvincedthe outlets are workable but will draw it up and see.

might try get a mazda 3 one as well before i commit. As theyre only 11 bucks each. 

20230712_140935.jpg

@Rhyscar Interesting. As usual the 2-stoke folks are well ahead of everyone else in exhaust design.

Shame it seems tricky to do on a 3-1 merge as V6s could probably do with that design much more than other engine designs, given that it's not practical in the slightest to pair the correct cylinders together for pulse tuning. I do still think dividing one of the three pipes in half so you've got 1.5 pipes merging together would work, the question is how to fabricate it. Suppose you could cut one of the collector pipes in half to weld along the inside and then stitch it back together again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BiTurbo228 said:

@Rhyscar Interesting. As usual the 2-stoke folks are well ahead of everyone else in exhaust design.

Shame it seems tricky to do on a 3-1 merge as V6s could probably do with that design much more than other engine designs, given that it's not practical in the slightest to pair the correct cylinders together for pulse tuning. I do still think dividing one of the three pipes in half so you've got 1.5 pipes merging together would work, the question is how to fabricate it. Suppose you could cut one of the collector pipes in half to weld along the inside and then stitch it back together again.

The V6 isnt like a V8 where the cylinders have uneven firing spacing on a bank.

The only difference between 3 cyl and 4, is that the spacing is an even 240 degrees rather than an even 180 degrees. 

So presumably the scavenging effect just needs a longer pipe to acheive the same tuned rpm. 

I guess you could put a Y shaped section in the middle, to extend the merge like Rhys' example.

16 minutes ago, Roman said:

The only difference between 3 cyl and 4, is that the spacing is an even 240 degrees rather than an even 180 degrees. 

Ah I hadn't thought about it as 3 separate 3-cylinders. I was more thinking about linking it up like a straight 6 with a 6-3-1 pairing 1 and 6, 2 and 5, and 3 and 4 together.

• Like 1

@thegreatestben From what I've seen they are largely based around fitting bike's available space.
Notice the balance pipes though up near the flange. Seen this on a few bikes.

On the S1000RR they have a throttle plate on the balance pipes, so they can open or shut depending on rpm, because it does (something something)

2006 06 Triumph Speed Triple 1050 Exhaust Header Head Pipe Coated | eBay

4 minutes ago, BiTurbo228 said:

Ah I hadn't thought about it as 3 separate 3-cylinders. I was more thinking about linking it up like a straight 6 with a 6-3-1 pairing 1 and 6, 2 and 5, and 3 and 4 together.

The firing order isnt like a straight six either. 

This V6 firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6.

So cyl 1-3-5 (left bank) and 2-4-6 (right bank) are the evenly spaced sets. Easy! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1