Thousand Dollar Supercar's 1988 Jaguar XJ-S 3.6

So good to hear you're still doing the thing. I think folks down here have been watching you, there's more and more of these in good state of paint, slabbing around the streets. You trend-setter you. Dont buy too much pertol, or you'll put the price up and I won't be able to run the Dai!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking about your thread update today,

You say it doesnt drive real nice at 100kph?

Weren't these a sports car of sorts?  Is there a reason why it doesn't have the nimble cat like road holding? 

45 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Thinking about your thread update today,

Weren't these a sports car of sorts?  Is there a reason why it doesn't have the nimble cat like road holding? 

Mum had a supercharged jaaaag, it drove like shit at anything under 115kmh. Had to concentrate to keep it on the road.

Once it was sitting on 120+ it was a dream

6 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

Also - when you're at nats can I flick you $5 so you can take me for a 3 min drive? I want to experience living like a king just for a fleeting moment. 

FTFY

On 07/06/2022 at 19:22, fletch said:

Mum had a supercharged jaaaag, it drove like shit at anything under 115kmh. Had to concentrate to keep it on the road.

Once it was sitting on 120+ it was a dream

I dunno if I'm brave enough to try that. Maybe that might stop the tramlining from the aftermarket wheels, but the roll-induced oversteer presumably gets stronger the faster you go. People who modify Jaaags for the track dial out this rear wheel steering effect by (I think) eliminating the radius arms which twist the IRS assembly and locating it in a more rigid manner.

On 07/06/2022 at 18:35, RUNAMUCK said:

They were a grand tourer, with suspension designed in the late '50s for the tyre technology of the time. Maybe mine has some more worn bushes though. I have bought replacements for these ones, but I haven't fitted them yet:

IMG_1323.JPG.6a9e95735e3d9480720b1be27c2e5740.JPG

(when the time comes, I will have to contend with that ridiculous-looking fastener...)

@yoeddynz I'll look into what's up with the accident pics. For the trip to Nats I'm wondering about getting new tyres for the original wheels, to give me taller gearing, a quieter ride and no tramlining. This would make you feel like a king if you just ignore all the interior rattles and the noise from the auto and the engine and the diff...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1