Some EB Civic help needed - Christchurch

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would end up pretty small. Needs a nut welding on the top at one million degrees IMO. Heating and shrinking might help it along. I had pipe wrench on it, gripped it fine, but the force I was putting on it without it budging was a  bit concerning. Laying under car, feet against wheel while trying to crack it open, no luck.

4 hours ago, Bling said:

All good. Just figured the oil would act as a coolant for the welding, a couple of few second tacks isn't going to boil a sump of oil. But yeah, I haven't done it myself, ignore that idea. 

Nah its a good idea. Youd have to be a real mongrel to heat the whole sump up to ignition temp lol.

Hell.. the engine usually has fire and explosions going on inside it.

Someone should get a map gas torch and heat it up (not until its glowing...but hot as hell), let it cool off and then give it a hoon with pipe wrench (jist incase its got something silly like loctite on it)

There is a marked difference between the combustion chambers igniting vapourised fuel at the head of the engine, cooling and expelling the heat as they go and the sustained red hot metal of welding something.

49 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

Nah its a good idea. Youd have to be a real mongrel to heat the whole sump up to ignition temp lol.

Hell.. the engine usually has fire and explosions going on inside it.

9 hours ago, cletus said:

I tried welding up a hole in a sump in place when I was an apprentice

boss reckoned if I drained it, then heated it up slowly enough the oil would not ignite or explode, but get thin enough to drain out the hole completely

boss was wrong.

bent the rocker covers out between the bolts

I don't think I ever found the push in oil cap

fuckin hurt my scone bouncing between floor and x member getting away from the flames shooting from the sump plug hole

I agree.

Prob best to remove sump first if possible

The real problem is that he basically turned the engine from a vessel with a heap of a liquid with screw all oxygen and a large barrier between your sparky bits and the oxygen into a combustion chamber full of flammable vapours mixed with oxygen and no barrier between the ignition source.

/ Trying to weld up a hole on anything oily is just silly and you'll be chasing leaks for the rest of the day.

Welding to the sump plug shouldn't be a problem. But I still reckon an impact will get it loose.

1 hour ago, flyingbrick said:

Hi Cletus..the problem was that you drained the oil first and removed its cooling ability. 

Usually with a sump full of oil the oil wouldnt even get warm jist welding a nut on.

If any doubt just put more oil in first.

yeah my situation was a little bit different- theres a bit below the sump plug that hangs lower than anything else on a SB Chrysler, and that bit got a hole rubbed in it from the road... 

I agree though, if you weld something to the sump plug itself with the sump full of oil, it should be fine 

• Like 2

I get the feeling your boss knew what would happen all along :P 

Along the same lines of filling a room with 100% LPG, and trying to light a match, not going to happen. Get the mix in the room right though, and the room is no longer. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:01, Bling said:

I get the feeling your boss knew what would happen all along :P 

quite possibly.

when I first started work at 16, I was told the correct way to check the diaphragm on a mechanical fuel pump, was to blow, hard, with your mouth into the inlet side.

I thought this was a bit odd, but did as I was told anyway

the outlet pipe pointed back out of the pump in the same direction, so I blew all the remaining fuel back into my face/eyes

character building I think its called

• Haha 4