Discuss here about Yoeddynz's little Imp project...

yoeddynz

The banger rally cars here in Finland, the Fiat 600s, they cut a Punto 6 speed to an ATV Diff, lathe it flat, then bolt a bell housing to it. Instead of trying to find a finite supply of 60's parts. They also use Quad/side by side CVs too. 

• Like 2

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am loving this build and all your fine craftmanship.

Interesting about the cooling fluid and gasket coating and hopefully you get away with it. I may have a similar problem with the intake gasket I got with the new intake. I had it sitting in a cardboard box with some paper in there as well and it caught fire from a welding blob. It seems to have been coated with a paint which is now partially burnt off now. So it is probably not going to seal now. Bit annoying.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Tiger Tamer said:

I am loving this build and all your fine craftmanship.

Interesting about the cooling fluid and gasket coating and hopefully you get away with it. I may have a similar problem with the intake gasket I got with the new intake. I had it sitting in a cardboard box with some paper in there as well and it caught fire from a welding blob. It seems to have been coated with a paint which is now partially burnt off now. So it is probably not going to seal now. Bit annoying.

Wipe off with lacquer thinner and copper gasket spray

• Like 3

Plain water one is new to me. I have seen it written that some like to do the first start dry and run until just hot enough to melt the glue coating. Judging that makes me twitchy… 

Alternatively run plain water and cap off so the system can’t be pressurised?  Certainly it is true that antifreeze is good at creeping through any gaps :-(

Hope it can be resolved without additional effort and expense!

• Like 1

I was always told by my old boss and the engine machine shop we used to run plain water only until 50k after re-torque (we mostly worked on old school cars), then coolant.

The MLS gaskets I've more recently fitted are a "minimum of 400km" using plain water.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...