Sunbeam's Fiat 125

Sunbeam

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I would just spin some dowels up on a lathe and drill them out. They are only for location/alignment so the hardness probably doesn't matter too much, mild steel would be fine. Likewise with your water pump, get a machinist to skim the back off the impeller and refit.

The dowels are just for alighnment of the head so you could get away without them and rely on the head bolts, but not having them would make my teeth itch too.

But, fo what its worth, the 1500/2300 engines dont have them from factory (tho i did drill my 2300 head and block for a couple because why not).

The water pump thing is wierd! Id look at smooth off a casting dag in the block, or hook a drill on the pulley end and 'lathe' it with a grinder a bit, or is the impeller just way too big? 

2 hours ago, azzurro said:

The dowels are just for alighnment of the head so you could get away without them and rely on the head bolts, but not having them would make my teeth itch too.

But, fo what its worth, the 1500/2300 engines dont have them from factory (tho i did drill my 2300 head and block for a couple because why not).

The water pump thing is wierd! Id look at smooth off a casting dag in the block, or hook a drill on the pulley end and 'lathe' it with a grinder a bit, or is the impeller just way too big? 

Just minor interference from the impeller. I’ll deal with it in my usual farm workshop way. Yeah not keen to run dowelless.

2 hours ago, tortron said:

They will be metric? 

Should be fairly easy to get from an engine parts place. Certainly from a motorcycle or kart parts supplier, I had a stash of them as they all get chewed up on the rubbish i rebuild 

Yes, metric 8mm. Must be hollow though as I’m fairly sure they sit in an oil or coolant passage. The head gasket is reinforced around the holes anyway. I’ll try a few more reconditioners and failing that make something up.

23 hours ago, CUL8R said:

Why not just make a gasket from thicker gasket paper, that would fix your clearance issues and not require any creative work..

It’s not a depth clearance issue, the impeller is just a couple of thou too big/slightly out of round. I think I can fix it. GMB quality control maybe isn’t what it used to be.

• Like 1

He surely must know what he’s doing because you certainly don’t go there for dynamic customer interaction

What the hell is with this!  I feel like interacting with industrial peeps is 50% puckered clodgers and 50% enthusiastic yarners.

• Haha 1

On 19/01/2023 at 07:55, azzurro said:

or hook a drill on the pulley end and 'lathe' it with a grinder a bit

So, I did this except I used a file so it clears now. I’m not really happy though because the impeller is way out of round which is why it was catching. It’s still out of round, just a smaller diameter. I’m imagining it spinning at 9k rpm and it doesn’t look nice in my brain.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, cubastreet said:

You've probably got that stud out by now but if not, I'd just weld a nut on top. 

Got her out, yeah. It was actually welded in! They’re a funny wee thing with two little pimples on the flange/head. I’m guessing the factory probably used some kind of electric welding process to melt the pimples. Combination of hammer and chisel got it done.

• Like 2