Sunbeam's Fiat 125

Sunbeam

Those solid state regs are quite a bit cheaper too so that might be the way to go. Where’s a good place for Lada parts? I once tried to make an order from Autoricambi as they have some good stuff that’s compatible with the 125, but the shipping was twice as much as the value of the parts so I gave up.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no complaints about Ladapower.com , but beware the cheap versions are usually *really* shitty

Shipping vs price ratio always makes adding extra bits worthwhile.

Plus sometimes get a lada calendar, pen and ukraine chocolates.

Ive also used

Mrfiat.com

Mal

euro-italian in albany 

There is a lot of crossover between lada and 125 as well, so start in the 2101 section

• Like 1

On 07/04/2020 at 20:36, azzurro said:

The last blurry photo looks like the elecrtomagnetic fan power supply thing. The spring presses a carbon bush aganst the back of the fan and when the temp sensor comes on it locks the fan on. 

I have a few of those points style regulators, on my lockup. i think @Testament is still rocking his? The solid state lada ones are a plugin replacement. I hid mine in a gutted points box so looks are the same

nope fucked that off some time ago. I think I got a new internal reg altenator frorm rockauto

On 07/04/2020 at 22:02, azzurro said:

I have no complaints about Ladapower.com , but beware the cheap versions are usually *really* shitty

Shipping vs price ratio always makes adding extra bits worthwhile.

Plus sometimes get a lada calendar, pen and ukraine chocolates.

Ive also used

Mrfiat.com

Mal

euro-italian in albany 

There is a lot of crossover between lada and 125 as well, so start in the 2101 section

you have bought from mrfiat.com?

I almost bought some stuff from there but got cold feet it seemed like a scam website or something

+1 for gavin at euro italian being awesome for local parts, just bonus normal chocolates, not ukrainian choclates though

have used rockauto, auto ricambi, midwest bayliss, vickauto

On 09/04/2020 at 22:12, Testament said:

+1 for gavin at euro italian being awesome for local parts, just bonus normal chocolates, not ukrainian choclates though

have used rockauto, auto ricambi, midwest bayliss, vickauto

Rockauto is epic and really good shipping rates. Do you remember the alternator application? 

I’ve seen Midwest Bayliss, do you remember what the shipping was like? 

I once put together an order from Autoricambi for a driveshaft guibo, some shims and a couple other small nick nacks, would have fit in half a shoebox and shipping was over $100USD. Cancelled that one real quick.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably late model 124 spider listing for alternator. There are a few different pulley offsets so you might need to swap that from your old alternator.

Can't recall what shipping was like.

If places have silly shipping or wouldn't ship to nz I've used youshop plenty of times.

On 12/04/2020 at 16:23, Sunbeam said:

Rockauto is epic and really good shipping rates. Do you remember the alternator application? 

I’ve seen Midwest Bayliss, do you remember what the shipping was like? 

I once put together an order from Autoricambi for a driveshaft guibo, some shims and a couple other small nick nacks, would have fit in half a shoebox and shipping was over $100USD. Cancelled that one real quick.

youshop is great for this.

Shipping in US is cheap or even free, but for some reason outside of US is $$$ crazy. On lots of forums even Canadian dudes reckon its worth the savings to cross the border to pick up from a drop ship place.

On 09/04/2020 at 22:12, Testament said:

you have bought from mrfiat.com?

I almost bought some stuff from there but got cold feet it seemed like a scam website or something

Is pretty good, i got heaps of 2300 parts from there i couldn't find anywhere else. (or where way cheaper than other places that did have stuff)  

i think he does all sorts of 'foreign' makes out of a big warehouse in the middle of nowhere Georgia under the "mr<make>" tagline - they are on ebay as well so you can use their purchase protection thing if you wanted.

1 hour ago, Sunbeam said:

It’s a good thing I have so much time on my hands.   

Anyway, this confirms the (original to the car) Solex carb body has something wrong with it. More investigation reveals another leak here:     

The casting is compromised.

So there we are. Days of pottering around, I think the stock Solex is running as well as it’s ever going to. It will have to do, because Covid-19 has taken a dump on my earnings. Twin Dellortos, I haven’t forgotten about you, promise.

Flipping carbs man!

Definitely worth spending your time with the Weber over the Solex, just better all round, even if they are both 50 years old now,.

• 4 months later...

RE engine and box out together.

It can be done, but its tight. as you say a short engine bay, and the radiator/slam panel is a key part of the front end structure so no cutty cutty.

The 4 speed/1608 combo is the easiest as the block is a wee bit smaller and shorter and on the 4 speed the end of the box is both smaller and the lever bits gets left attached to the tunnel.

It needs to come out nearly vertically so need the car up high and a engine crane with a load adjuster thingee.

I found it easier to take the engine out first, but put them back in together.

need to remove the starter tho.... best way is all of the extensions and a couple of universal joints with tape around them to get those mummajumma starter bolts from the back of the gearbox. Also if you disconnect the propshaft and tilt the engine back there's a bit more room/visibility.

I need to update my 125 thread too!

• Like 1

re the guibo, i use a chain wrench to compress it a smidge so you can actually remove the bolts

The only thing i remember about the 4 speed linkage is it was a pain to get out, but i think you only need to remove it at one or two more accessible points on the side maybe? and leave most of it attached to the tunnel

Its a Fiat one, they have such lush hand drawn illustrations. I only have the 'Specifications and Features' one for my 125 its about 120 pages, and doesn't go into much detail.

i have a couple of 'Service Manuals' (2x 1500/1800/2300 ones S1 and S3,  and a 124 Spider one) they are over 700 pages each and have ALL of the procedures including pics of the special tools.

The trick is to remove the split-pin and unscrew the nut holding 8 to 13, and the pin holding 11 to 12 then the stick/changing mech can stay in the car, as the gearbox is disconnected from it

• 8 months later...
56 minutes ago, ThePog said:

Cd66 all the way, I've always loved the look of those on old Fiats...

Me too. Only problem is they are only readily available in 7 inch wide which means a 205/60 and I’m worried a tyre that wide will ruin the way it drives.