h4nd

Random slightly cool stuff you built but not worth its own thread, thread

On 20/07/2020 at 08:07, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

I may have posted this before, but tidying up over the weekend I found some of the stuff my Graddad gave me before he died. He served in the Pacific in WW2, fighting alongside the US Marines, then I think he was wounded and came home, after seeing some pretty bad things (he swore never to own a Japanese car). This knife is one of the objects he made/modified, a US marine fighting knife with the handle he made out of perspex from shot down Japanese planes...
sVlwV8O.jpg

I always thought it was a Ka-Bar (Knife attachment, Browning automatic rifle) but the markings show it was the earlier PAL model RH-36, made under licence to equip US troops...
9l4ZT6K.jpg?1

Some Barrying tells me "The PAL was one of the most used 'commercial' knives during WW2. Before the intoduction of the Ka-bar there was a serious lack of fighting/utility knives and many marines purchased commercial hunting knives to overcome this shortage until the PAL-36 was supplied. Originally the knife was designed by Remington and when their cutlery deartment was bought by PAL they kept the original dsignation RH-36 (Remington Hunting, Blade type 3, Blade length 6")..."

Some of his campaign stuff, should get this framed really...
SGl3aui.jpg?1

Vella Lavella! been there when pretty young, remember the parents went on a tour to some skull caves because cannibilism etc. beautiful place. 

• Thanks 1

Oh man i love history like this.

The stories attached to those items makes them absolutely priceless- it just blows my mind thinking about where they have been, what they have seen and what they actually represent.

Fuckin imagine raiding a downed plane for plexiglass so you could make a sweet knife handle!!! 

And makes me so deeply sad that so many of these chaps go without passing on their stories.

• Like 5

I have a tin of Paua shell tiki and a lot of other prison art my grandfather made wile he spent the whole of WW2 locked up in NZ, he was a German and refused to join the army in Germany lol.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Hemi said:

Vella Lavella! been there when pretty young, remember the parents went on a tour to some skull caves because cannibilism etc. beautiful place. 

I asked him if he ever wanted to go back. Pretty strong 'Hell no' was the answer. Told me it was hellishly hot and the water rations were so low they'd save half their tea to shave with. If they didn't shave they'd get jungle sores from ingrown hairs from the heat and sweat. Also said the clothes rotted off them. About the only things he ever said about it really.

Apart from when a few of them swam to a chiefs burial plot on some island and looted it of carved shells, my mum's still got some. Bloody NZ bogans.... 

Would quite like to go myself some day.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

Fuckin imagine raiding a downed plane for plexiglass so you could make a sweet knife handle!!! 

Sounds like they were all at it. Blagging knives off the yanks and building stuff. Doing the old 'homer on the bosses time', with bullets...

He also  made a pendant for my nana by cutting the huia out of an old sixpence and sticking it on a heart shaped bit of plexiglass from the windscreen of a zero (bloody Mitsi's). Think my sister has that...

huia.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, toyabusa said:

Matching Tv stand and working on a couple of bedside tabes the same style at the moment

IMG_1535.JPG

Holy fuck, that's an i-max cinema...not a TV!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 20/08/2020 at 14:56, tortron said:

50 grams baby

Could you cut a leg off each support, leaving just the top flat section? Seems like it would be strong enough unless you're loading up huge pots.

Probably yes. Although I use this one with bigger pots for max calories. A 20g butane cooker will always be lighter.

Have some shorter sections I might try that out with, but it's actually quite easy to bend, it may want heat treatment

A+ job on designing it so that the tops of the monitors are flush. 

i hate when my dual monitors at work get bumped out of alignment. 

• Like 3