Hannah's Triumph 'goon of Leaking British Wonderment

kyteler

Why so keen to chnage engine? Its a bloody triumph wagon, not made to be trashed haha. My vot goes for get it back ont he road asap as is, touch a low and some sweet wheels. Find and OD box and get the 2L runnign sweetly. I prefered the 2L ove the 2.5, more perky. And we all like dem perky...

• Like 2

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why so keen to change engine? It's a bloody Triumph wagon, not made to be thrashed haha. 

I know this is a crazy thought, but what if the current engine is actually not in good condition? Given that, as you mentioned, this is a bloody Triumph wagon, only some kind of non-petrolhead classic car tragic would rebuild the original motor at all costs / rule out alternatives / fail to take the opportunity to add more horsepowers.

• Like 1

Why so keen to chnage engine? Its a bloody triumph wagon, not made to be trashed haha. My vot goes for get it back ont he road asap as is, touch a low and some sweet wheels. Find and OD box and get the 2L runnign sweetly. I prefered the 2L ove the 2.5, more perky. And we all like dem perky...

Because mooooore dort. Plus hannah has already said no to crabs.

But yeah will most likely just get it legal first.

its your car and you can do what you want. im down with just getting it driving, being a wee bit of a purist, it would pain me to see something different going into it, the mk1 2000 are quite rare, especially in wagon form, and i would think that a nice restored mk1 wagon would be worth a fair bit of coin as i have never seen one in nz at all. Or you could put a different engine in it, spend 7 or 8 grand plus getting it all mint and sweet and then its only worth 3 or 4 grand like all the other triumphs that have rovers etc tacked into them.

i have a good nick mk2 2000 here that just needs the thrust washers done, its done less than 1000ksm since abput $800 worth of head work and is just collecting dust under my bench.

Im going to plus 1 on fitting a modern deez

get it purring like kevin and enjoy some weekend away cruising

may as well fit modern suspension and airbag it while you are at it. Im talkin smoooth

^^

This, suggest the lexus 220 diesel which is available with a 6 speed out the back...

This would also be a sweet combo for an mx5 too...

• Like 1

It's most likely going to be our most used cruising touring car because they are comfy, roomy and wagon space for camping gear. Even though petrol is cheap right now that won't last so whatever it gets it has to have the ability to get good mileage when cruising. We used to feather the throttle on the 2500S plus I've had three other triumphs and none would exceed 30mpg. In fact 25 was the norm. Not terrible but not good if you want to do lots of ks. And lots of ks we will do if because they are so lush to drive.

Deez or modern six would make it so useful.

yeah triumph 2.5 engines make awesome tow cars for their day with a nice spread of torque. Much needed as we will use this to tow the boat and car trailer (not at the same time...that would be silly)

I found a nissan bluebird diesel last night but i think its a four and wouldnt be grunty enough anyway. That bimmer diesel six we had would have been ideal.

Would a 3.0L diesel Hiace Van engine fit? (cheaper that 1KZ Turbo but could bolt on a turbo manifold for more oomph) they arnt exactly smooth but with a decent driveline behind it (not a Hiace one thats doing 3200rpm @100kp/h) it could go alright and would be great for towing