Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on the shape of your car, some cars dont actually have moving airflow at the base of the windscreen / most of the windscreen at high speed anyway. 

MR2s have a wind deflector thing on one of the wipers, because otherwise they start lifting up at speed. 

Diesel newbie....I was about to post a topic asking for help with osmething but then realised there was a hole in my understanding how how a diesel actually works...

does a diesel injector pump "throttle arm" set a rpm governor? 

So the injector pump should deliver whatever fuel is required to deliver the demanded rpm? (assuming the motor can produce enough power to deliver it)

Attached is the "principal" diagram from my bosch injector pump diagram

principal.PNG

• Like 1

Ok - Next question -

I would like to figure out if my boat (jet - so 1 extra rpm is 1000 more hp and 100 extra kph) is limited to 2650rpm by the pump throttle arm travel limiter screw, or limited by it already being at max torque output. (Max rated rpm is 2800)

The screw is wound pretty much all the way "in" and has a security crimp tag on it. 

So i should back the limiter/stop  screw off a bit and see if the rpm's rise. An extra 150 rpm will be like 8 knots so i'm pretty keen to try as it only does ~25knots now.

It was built/owned by the airport rescue people who would be pretty conservitive, interestingly the hand throttle lever could only ever reach 75% of travel before being limited by the injector pump stop screw which i thought was really gammy and hard to drive so i modified the pivot point.

They make the "pleasure boat" version of this motor with a different turbo that makes an extra 150hp, so if the screw doesn't make it go faster ill swap the turbo.

• Like 1

What can I gob up a smashed battery case with

Some dumbass picked up an engine in a wet banana box and the bottom fell out and the engine put a hole in the top of my good battery 

Realistically I only use it for jump starting farm bikes and moving broken cars around my yard

It's an 8 year old battery. 

Learn to be a bit more wasteful would you? 

I'd biff it regardless.  It's supposed to be a sealed unit and even if you bodge it up unless you're sure the adhesive won't be compromised by the acid I wouldn't waste the time and effort. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"sealed"

not really, the caps pop right off

and i have done so to bring it back to life before lol. As its one i keep in the shed rather than drive around with i think itl be fine getting bogged up

i might soldering iron plastic weld it, its all above the acid line