Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

8 minutes ago, gibbon said:

has anyone ever repaired or gotten parts for these cheap vices? turns out this baby is a holdin' vice not a crushin' vice, i stripped the main nut on it. the nut is a barrel and plug thing cast together, I see this type of vice for sale all the time so presumably someone's dealt with this shit before

EDIT: found one on aliexpress, thank you chinese slave labourers your toil will never be forgotten

20210804_193158.jpg.b872af8f94fc59d0f4f3bd3da87976bb.jpg

in the meantime yo dawg i heard you like vices, heres some vice grips to grip yo vice while yo vice grips... (seemed to do the trick at least)

I have one of those that I snapped the jaws on.  Top quality.  Happy to send you whatever other turd part you want from it if it's the same. 

• Like 3

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, kyteler said:

I have one of those that I snapped the jaws on.  Top quality.  Happy to send you whatever other turd part you want from it if it's the same. 

hahah no shit, i was about to add "really just hoping that someone has one with a busted jaw" lol. I'll get a pic of the rooted bit

• Like 1

I was gonna buy one of those modern cheapish vices but I then went to the vcc swap meet and found a hercules #5 for 70 bucks. It's been very well used and I've given it a beating but still it lives on. Get an old one if you can. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gibbon said:

20210808_194513.jpg.f00698aa94d7a7d3371a53eda3ade127.jpg

this is the beast here. obviously it's supposed to be in one piece, seemed a shame to just chuck the whole thing

shoot me a PM if it looks like what you've got, thanks!

I'll take a look tomorrow mate.  Too cold and dark to be out in the shed at the minute. 

• Thanks 1

On 08/08/2021 at 19:50, gibbon said:

20210808_194513.jpg.f00698aa94d7a7d3371a53eda3ade127.jpg

this is the beast here. obviously it's supposed to be in one piece, seemed a shame to just chuck the whole thing

shoot me a PM if it looks like what you've got, thanks!

Different but maybe usable? 

2021-08-09_11-12-18.thumb.jpg.05f933880c5ae8b9c7e19046a4f85f40.jpg

2021-08-09_11-12-28.thumb.jpg.7aad41fc04c6f7eff86b4ebcc6248d21.jpg

2021-08-09_11-12-23.thumb.jpg.39c0360bb2e04d8307e0281aa6c46670.jpg

If sticking on, probably the slave cylinders need attention.  Moisture can get in them and corrode the piston and bore so they get stuck. 

Can get away with stripping, cleaning, and new rubber seal. Or mightake more sense to replace depending on the car/condition. 

Rubber brake hoses can fail internally when they are old, so they act like a 1 way valve and the fluid gets trapped in the cylinder making the brakes stick on

Remove the drum and check for leaks, get some one to pump the pedal half way and watch how the shoes move to see what's happening. Should be smooth in and out. 

Giving it all a clean and lubing the metal on metal parts when you put it back together helps alot too

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 87creepin said:

@tortron I would think its same as seizing. My rears got a low score in their test. 

Yup all available on rockauto which is awesome lol. 

Depends if the shoes arent moving or if they just need adjustment tho? Usually there's a little hole in the back plate where you can poke a screwdriver in and rotate a star nut to open up the pad adjustment

Tho it sounds like you are saying they are stating on/grabbing 

• Like 1

If they got a low score on the machine then the self adjuster probably isn't working.  Jab a screw driver into the access port in the back and click it round several times until the wheel is slightly grabbing when you're spinning it and it should stop instantly when the brakes are applied.  The grabby should mellow over a few trips and the brakes will be functional.  It should get you through the test and you can order new parts and then pull them all apart and replace shit at your leisure. 

• Like 1

Who can share some magic?

Trying to figure out how to address this panel, has lost all its shape and needs plenty of tapping back, mainly from being beaten back to pack in another tin of bog.

IMG_9918.jpeg.208cad6025eecb9003b0b72206edb98a.jpeg

While i'm sure I can get it to require far less, how do I go about getting the crease that should be about where the black line is back?

My current thought is to address everything else and it should naturally come back, or to I address is specifically somehow then tidy up the edges?

Total panel beating noob but keen to learn, worst case i order a replacement panel.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Who can share some magic?

Trying to figure out how to address this panel, has lost all its shape and needs plenty of tapping back, mainly from being beaten back to pack in another tin of bog.

IMG_9918.jpeg.208cad6025eecb9003b0b72206edb98a.jpeg

While i'm sure I can get it to require far less, how do I go about getting the crease that should be about where the black line is back?

My current thought is to address everything else and it should naturally come back, or to I address is specifically somehow then tidy up the edges?

Total panel beating noob but keen to learn, worst case i order a replacement panel.

Is the rest of the panel bad enough to warrant total replacement? 

If not its a 2 person job hold a block of wood (2x4 pine is adequate) on the outside and cork the swage back into it with an appropriate corking too

Always get edges back first then dress the rest of the panel to suit. That way you reduce the risk of getting a full panel that requires shrinking.

If it just needs dressing then its probably not worth replacing if its quite rusty maybe it is.  The arch looks pretty munted too

7 hours ago, JustHarry said:

Is the rest of the panel bad enough to warrant total replacement? 

If not its a 2 person job hold a block of wood (2x4 pine is adequate) on the outside and cork the swage back into it with an appropriate corking too

Always get edges back first then dress the rest of the panel to suit. That way you reduce the risk of getting a full panel that requires shrinking.

If it just needs dressing then its probably not worth replacing if its quite rusty maybe it is.  The arch looks pretty munted too

Actually not in the worst shape rust wise, just s small strip at the bottom, the arch is pretty munted, but again, fairly simple geometry to patch up. new panels are available, just at $650usd and the state of shipping right now, i'll give this a few taps before admitting defeat!

I have some rimu offcuts, i'll see if any are about right, thanks for the strategy!