Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

Thanks man, will check them out! 

I have been wondering that, been keeping an eye out for a BA XR6T ute. Not ideal as far as passenger space but has potential to be used as a work ute for carting saws, wood etc and despite the higher purchase price might actually still end up cheaper than parts, cert etc.

Yeah good point, I know the VL diffs are made of glass. Will do some research!

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have some tips to get better fuel economy out of a 2005 Toyota hiace van running a 1TR engine?

It’s a 2L petrol auto, work supplied van so hoping there’s something I can do without too much trouble to get it running better.

Currently it does 310km to 53L petrol.

It’s recently had a new air filter and is due an oil and filter change that I’ll sort out soon. 

I mentioned this in spam and cletus said they’re basically petrol thirsty turds.  Probably true but fingers crossed I can spend less time at the local BP.

32 minutes ago, tortron said:

Dial in your tyre pressure

Remove rubbish from back

100mph tape over all panel gaps

Fuel card

-Check.

-Need all the tools in the back.

-Lol, including all the big holes in the front? Heard it makes the heater go better.

-Check. Not my money but I quite like my work and value not spending all my time refueling.

Oil change intervals ~

How often is too often? I have a mate who's a mechanic and just asked him if 3,000km is fine. 

He said no. Waste of money. 6-7 minimum would be better. But I've always done 3k as that's what I was taught from MR2 forums and owning relatively high mileage cars. 

Why would you want to change it that often?

I do 10k for normal cars, or 5k for highly strung or boosted cars. Good oils on modern cars will run further than that happily (or in the case of the daily, which is currently 4k overdue, oops).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, a.craw4d said:

That's criminal!

My old work van was previous shape to what you have, was 2.4L manual and i'd get 400km or so to a tank. Loaded up with tools. I think they are just turds really. Made zero difference how I drove it, just a turd on the fuel. I'd even test with a tank driving like a nana and a tank driving like I stole it (still stupidly slow) and the fuel economy was the same. I used to have a 2L (3SGE) 4WD auto RAV4 and it would use 45L ish for 350km. So add some weight and the fuel economy is about the same.

edit

More modern 2.4L auto (CVT) Corolla in the fleet uses half the fuel and would be twice as fast as the RAV4, not a problem. With the price of fuel, if you do big mileage, could even be worth selling it to buy something better on fuel. Previous work van was a 2012ish Transit diesel, so much faster and would net 9km/L fully loaded. 80L tank meant 750km or so between fills, bliss.

• Like 3

Toyota factory interval for SW20 is 5,000-10,000k (3,000-6,000 miles) or every 6 months "whichever comes first".

I aim for 10k with my 1KZ, but pretty much just do it when the oil light starts talking longer to turn off in the morning around 7k.

• Like 1

My Datsun engine has a total loss replacement system. This is because of two reasons..

1 : Its a British design engine with nothing more than an alloy head added (apparently..)

2 : It's been installed into a British car so its just trying to fit in with what goes with the territory.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, a.craw4d said:

Does anyone have some tips to get better fuel economy out of a 2005 Toyota hiace van running a 1TR engine?

It’s a 2L petrol auto, work supplied van so hoping there’s something I can do without too much trouble to get it running better.

It’s recently had a new air filter and is due an oil and filter change that I’ll sort out soon. 

I mentioned this in spam and cletus said they’re basically petrol thirsty turds.  Probably true but fingers crossed I can spend less time at the local BP.

Mine has a diff head from either a diesel or a coach version. Seems to be about 8-9% taller. Mostly used on the open road so it's a definite plus for economy. Replaced as the original whined like fuck.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GregT said:

Mine has a diff head from either a diesel or a coach version. Seems to be about 8-9% taller. Mostly used on the open road so it's a definite plus for economy. Replaced as the original whined like fuck.

Probably no good for Dunedin then. It's already slow enough going up hills.

11 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

My Datsun engine has a total loss replacement system. This is because of two reasons..

1 : Its a British design engine with nothing more than an alloy head added (apparently..)

2 : It's been installed into a British car so its just trying to fit in with what goes with the territory.

I'll cut you Alex.........

• Haha 3