Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found pairing air shocks with a second set of shocks gets the best of both worlds. I tucked a kyb up the guts of the springs of my triumph and used the air shocks in stock position to lift the bum when loaded with lads/beer to stop the dog with worms look. You also need a valve for each shock or air will shoot over to the other side making the car keel over when you chuck it into a corner.

If I want to cool down an auto 4wd (3SGE Rav4) when towing, will just mounting a small trans cooler be a good idea? It never went above half way on the temp gauge, but at idle the fan would switch on and off, so it must be getting warm. Plan to tow a bit in the next 6 months, but if i'm wasting my time in this situation with a cooler, I won't bother. Factory it just runs into the engine rad.

Any other suggestions on easy ways to keep things cooler?

Speaking of fitting a tezza diff in a X70, how does ya?

Pretty easy if you're wanting to retain your existing crownwheel and pinion, just swap them over to new diff.

The tricky part is setting the bearing preload correctly because the IRS unit uses shims instead of the rotating thingys on the live axles.

You cant really swap over the whole carrier though because everything is different.

It may very well be that if you use the same crown wheel and pinion that the existing shims are okay though.

If not I'd take it to a diff shop because it's a pain in the balls trying to get that setup.

You can make a torsen more aggressive by using a thicker oil in it.

I think there is also a way you can add more preload to the internal wizard magic to push it harder against the housing for less slip.

But cant remember.

• Like 1