steelies' box house

Steelies

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched this on how shipping containers are made, which was quite interesting. I thought they would use massive solid beams everywhere but it looks like its all just folder sheet steel.

The video is basically just a giant "damn i'm glad i have that job!" moment though. Especially at 2:08... fuck that!

EDIT, i meant @ 8:06

• Like 3

its quite interesting that there has been a big captial spend in that plant into building positioners etc that will facilitate automated welding, but at this point still use manual labor, watching other china factory videos, normal practice wouldnt even consider putting a over-center clamp style jig somewhere where 2 men could hold it up to a wooden frame made out of old pallets while the other blasts it with his eyes closed. (& if its not fast enough - get more men and pallets)

• Like 3

haha yeah! also theres an inspection in the neighbours waste (under my house) conveniently located to crap straight into.

yup small deck, really just a veranda if that makes sense.

went for off-white windows.

found the burner i want second hand in auck for half the damage of new, which is still $1500. will find out of a pro will back it for 5 years and install it, otherwise may just need to go new for cert. or go dodgy.

yeah stoked with the railing, living in a pile of parallel lines

thanks felix! i'm pretty particular about the burner i want in there, i'll be looking at it every day so i'll probably wait for the right one to come along ( just like the perfect man, yeesh). but thanks, that's much appreciated! Again: this is why OS is rulz.

i've been on the phone to fire dudes and the council about second hand fire installs with regards to consent etc. pro fire install dude needs to sign off on the firebox if it's second hand/outside the manufacturer's backing, and be willing to back it themselves for durability, B1 and B2 bits of the building code. dont ask me what that means, other than hand shakes and a bill in the mail. maybe it's bananas in sleepwear.

now a step back,

go through all this shit for the sake of $1000 saving. or call a guy, come home to a new fire, pay the fat bill and do some more engineering to fill the hole.

that

Warmington-Studio-Stove.220x195.jpg?1344

• Like 3