Anyone Manualised an Auto Before??

Seedy Al

hey cats

So I am looking a doing a swap my hiace soon, and am Assuming the trans on the new vehicle is going to be an electronicly controlled Auto

So Has anyone manualised an Auto before, and if so, what sort of pit falls and things do i need to work out?

I assume having a wiring Diagram would be super handy for knowing which solinoids get swtiched to achieve each gear. Any way to figure this out without a wiring diagram??

um, and yeah, what else is invlolved etc?

I knew a guy that converted a 1UZ auto to manual shifting using a tiptronic shifter for +/- up down.

He built a basic circuit using a PIC micro and spent a long time fiddling to make it shift correctly IIRC (not only correct gear, but also timing etc).

Microcontroller took the +/- instruction from the shifter and knowing the gear it was in it would output to the correct solenoid to make it go up/down, etc

Get Ned to build one?

Oh, and I think you have to lock up/switch the torque converter or something?

are you going to use the engines original ecu? might be easier to just wire it up so it is still auto.

also, if it is an a340, i heard rumors that you could use an early hiace valvebody which is still hydraulic. however i didnt do any research so i might be full of shite.

also, there is info about a340s on here i believe.somewhere. www.lextreme.com

/probably just enough info to get your hopes up

Haha I love getting my hopes up!

Um not, I am converting the Engine to Manual Deisel Injection instead of EFI, as they are a cunt to wire, hence the doing of converting gearbox to the same

I had heard that before some where too there Cletus about the A340's. A this point I have no idea what box i might be dealing with.

might get more info and go from there

I have done this to a Nissan auto. very similar.

you need to wire the inhibitor switch up to some relays and use the relays to switch the autos solenoids on/off. if you remove the auto ecu you will also need a switch to lock up the tq converter ( very good being able to manual it on in some situations like going up hill in 3rd.

mine was set up so that 1st was 1st, 2nd was 2nd, D was 3rd and D + OD switch was 4th, then had an extra push button for lockup.

there will be a line pressure solenoid which drops pressure during shifts. on the Nissan I just left thus wire dc'd which ment much firmer quicker shifts with no slippage.

as far as I know the mech linkage only controls P,N,R and D21. d21 are all the same mechanically and you can access all forward gears electronically while the stick is in any of those 3 positions.

the inhibitor switch is what tells the ecu where the lever is.

all you need to find out is what solenoid combinations do what. it will be something like gear 1 solenoid one, gear two solenoid two, gear 3 no solenoids and gear 4 both solenoids.

hope this helps.

The lush way to do this is to use a 5MGE trans ecu so you still have auto shifts. The hard part is you need to track down a old toyota TPS (think early 80's analog 1gge's etc). These output a switched signal which is interpreted by the ECU to determin shift points

tpsj.jpg

The waka TPS is a nomal resistive type and the engine ECU takes that and outputs the same signal as above to the trans ECU. Speed sensor for the ECu comes from the box, the solenoid pattern for the A340 is the same as the A43. Its abit of fucking aorund but cheap and worth it if the car is a cruiser, I have all the diagrams somewhere

If you want to do it as above, heres the solenoid pattern

solenoid.jpg

Chris was asking about such things too. He wanted to put a clutch on the motor still and use auto box to essentially have a sequential setup with just up/down. This is something i could make electronics for if you wanted/needed so flick me a PM if you go that route and require a hand :)

Chris was asking about such things too. He wanted to put a clutch on the motor still and use auto box to essentially have a sequential setup with just up/down. This is something i could make electronics for if you wanted/needed so flick me a PM if you go that route and require a hand :)

My head is full of WTF?

lold.

isuzu have 'fluid flywheels'(just a torque converter) on their AMT trans (manual gearboxes completely run by computers) in their wee trucks.

the larger ones are the same deal but with a proper clutch the small ones are lol as. slowing down and it makes you sound like a douchebag with epic throttle blips and shit. hah. all you're given is a stick like this with them

fx_series4.jpg

pretty sweet to drive but they take a bit longer to change gear than a standard manual, obviously.

auto with a clutch would be wtf spec.

The lush way to do this is to use a 5MGE trans ecu so you still have auto shifts. The hard part is you need to track down a old toyota TPS (think early 80's analog 1gge's etc). These output a switched signal which is interpreted by the ECU to determin shift points

tpsj.jpg

The waka TPS is a nomal resistive type and the engine ECU takes that and outputs the same signal as above to the trans ECU. Speed sensor for the ECu comes from the box, the solenoid pattern for the A340 is the same as the A43. Its abit of fucking aorund but cheap and worth it if the car is a cruiser, I have all the diagrams somewhere

If you want to do it as above, heres the solenoid pattern

solenoid.jpg

Ive done this before nad with 7mgte auto trans ecus but they are more complicated