zep's 1965 HA Viva

zep

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

anything but the chevette engine, thats got to be the worst engine I've ever worked on. Everything on one side, exhaust, intake, electrics, the whole lot. It's a POS and it's gutless.

What about a JAG 3.8 straight six, or a v12 ? or a 302 v8, or if you MUST use a four cyl, a ztec or a pinto (1.6 / 2.0) ?

oh god, .. just not that awful chevette engine. you'd be lucky if it had 60hp.

oh yea left tail light is bust/no-go in case ya did not know

Keep forgetting about that, will have to look into it asap.

I need to add a caveat to the thread that says I do not want to have to change engine mounts, make custom x-members, or cert this thing. I KNOW the 1256 is a shit engine, but it is better than the 1057 (which is the same engine with less capacity). I'm not overly fussed about whether or not it's gutless, it actually goes alright now. I just want to freshen up the engine and may as well increase the capacity while I can.

I already have a fast enough car in the garage.

very very cool car dude

dare I say it, getting 40s for it/head work etc wont be a whole lot cheaper than getting a differnet engine and tacking up some new mounts providing there is no major cutting and fab work.

still, very cool ride and good luck

Does the 1057 have smaller combustion chambers? Maybe smack that head on a 1256 block to get decent compression, run a sweet cam and 2 bike carbs on a custom manifold with awesomely overkill tubular extractors for lol factor. Run all new consumables and it will be a relatively sweet little motor. I still can't condone transplanting a 1256 into anything though, call it stroking a 1057 :P

I see where you are coming from with not wanted to cert or muck around too much with it. But your suspension changes you speak of would require a cert anyway.

i agree so far 1256 yes, but ill add sneaky mapsensor efi hidden in the stockcarb/filter housing.

just remember to keep your tappets in tolerance and always monitor oil pressure and level,

i've done countless whangarei/hamilton missions with them and they perform good enough in a heavy chevette wagon so will be sweet for this.

Brad: you're getting it now. It is kinda for the lol factor. If I can do most of that stuff cheap then I will be happy. If it's looking to be more expensive that it's worth (shouldn't take long), I'll just not bother. It will be a good exercise in building my first engine, albeit a shite one.

I'm not sure about the combustion chamber size but I know that you can shave the head down and get to 9.5:1 without too much trouble.

And yeah, I realise the hypocrisy with the cert and brakes/suspension. But I think they'd pick up ISUZU on the rocker cover before they realised it didn't come with disc brakes.... maybe. Who knows, will see how it goes.

If going semi-warm 1256 then a set of leetle bike carbs would be almost criminal NOT to install!!!

This car did well up the Bombays too I reckon.

Yeah man, I was surprised!

They have a siamesed inlet port so 2 ports feeding two cylinders each. This leads me to believe that 2 bike carbs might do, although looking at other 1.2 and 1.3 conversions (most VAG stuff), they are using 4 (one for each port). I wonder if I'll be able to get enough fuel with two.

ok, a 1256 with a sc12 supercharger and bike carbs, mild cam and double valve springs. now that would be sweet.

I get the engine mount thing, read that right away, I just though you weren't serious. It's like when your mate says 'I'm not drinking anymore' you sort of assume instantly that he's either a bit gay and finally realizing it or just messing with you.

common conversion on hb's was the 4 cly vk commodore motor and box.

cheap, 186 with 2 pots cut off..

If this is actually the case then I reckon 1.9L would most probably make the HA boogie!

Bradkuni has a pretty sweet one that he really needs to be convinced to part with - the last two that I touched I just scrapped sorry..