zep's 1965 HA Viva

zep

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, either I don't actually read posts or am not funny enough.

On another note, I had a look at the bumpstops in the front and I'm going to pretty much on them at the height I want to be. Better get some smaller ones.

He's a good dude and won't care but will make fun. He had a 12a lined up to go into his ha but gave up on the idea. A fella down here in Nelson has a 12 a bridge port in a ha. Not yet certed but apparently goes pretty well. I think he is trying to keep it looking stock too.

Awesome that someone from oldschool bought this.

I was watching and very ready to buy but I already have enough Vivas and insufficient garage :(

There are things that can be done with the 1256 and using the 1159 engine heads, raise compression etc.

There used to be a common conversion to put a 28/36DCD on them (or a DGAV type thing off a Ford), also the over the rocker cover DCOE setup.

I have some books by Coburn and Blydenstein about tuning these engines and apparently with some pissing around with heads and cam you can get an extra 10 bhp out of them - that's like 25% more!! Can scan and email relevant pages?

Datsun A12/A15 was also transplanted into them with relative ease.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned but check if the car is a positive earth setup. Modern stereo will not compute with positive earth.

Its a piece of cake to change to negative earth though.. I'll hunt out the instructions if you need it but its something like switching the battery leads and coil wires then striking the generator wire across the field terminal a couple of times.. (its been a while since I've done it)

It's negative earth - checked yesterday when Cam and I installed the electronic ignition.

vivaspeed: yes please, I'd love to see those tuning pages!! I've been advised a 28/36 by Tony Lynch, but have you tried finding one recently?!

• 3 weeks later...
yes please, I'd love to see those tuning pages!!

Tuning pages scanned, from both 1st and 2nd editions of Blydenstein tuning book - will PM you also for emailing address.

Any other interest PM me and I'll include a copy for you too...