Oil Pressure Guage

felixx

OK so I brought an old school Oil pressure Guage on the tard.

It has a red and a black wire

and a hollow plastic tube.

OK so Red = live

black = earth -or do these go to an accessory/ light switch?

What do I connect the clear pipe to? I guess it goes somewhere different to my oil light wire connects

Sorry for the noobish Question

And make sure you do all of the fittings up tight and check for leaks and the quality of the hose....or you may find hot oil being squirted at 60+psi all through your dash/interior.

Yup, that was me. The supercheap ones don't quite fit my BSF threads.

My auto sparkie has seen two of the brass tee peices work harden and break off with less than ideal results for the engine. Anyone else seen this?

I am planning on mounting my tee under the dash to avoid engine vibration possibly causing work hardening and maybe make it from steel.

^vibration isn't work hardening, it's metal fatigue. If you have vibration strong enough to cause work hardening, then you have bigger things to worry about :P. And yes steel is probably a good idea since ferrous metals have a minimum fatigue tolerance. Just be careful of it seizing if you are sticking two different metals together.

• 2 years later...

Dredging this thread out of 2012 and into 2014, are mechanical gauges actually that bad? ive just got my hands on a genuine smiths oil pressure gauge for my triumph, i dont want any gay modern shit in it and the smiths gauge is dope as. Would ripco or supershit have the british thread fittings for these as it didnt come with lines, are the nylon lines better than the copper or stainless braid etc as i have seen a few different ones. I also got a smiths GP series vacuum gauge (and spare oil pressure), whats the best way to hook up vacuum? i wanted it as the lucas mechanical injection runs on vacuum so shes pretty important but, though of hooking up to inlet vac line somehwere.

Help me Jim!

I think people are just scared of mech oil gauges cause if they break then oil goes everywhere etc/loss of pressure etc. I had a triumph which used to have one and had obviously gone wrong and all in behind the dash was oil splatter.

For vac gauge, just run in from a vac line on the intake There might even be a couple of blanking plugs you could use.