Cam's Toyota AE86 Trueno Racecar - Yes, Another One!

Ned

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

KY - I guess it depends how you define 'too much'. I think I got a super awesome bargain. I could part the car out easily for 1.5x what I paid for it. The previous owner REALLY wanted it gone :)

Richie - Yeah it'll definitely be running by trackday. Looking forward to some track battles with Markku. And you're welcome to borrow the trailer if you want. It's single axle, braked, non-sprung. Tows fine when it's empty so long as you run SFA pressure in the tyres. Perfect size for a little car like yours.

go efi? quad throttles. you have a sweet ecu, seems a waste for it to be running ignition only.

i have used another cambelt washer thing, to space out a blacktop crank pulley. just ground the edge off it, bit rough but worked. should be able to run a blacktop cambelt gear? thats where the difference is. they are wider than all the other 4ages as run wider cambelt. if were me i'd stick with the standard harmonic balancer

I think the reason behind the Link is so that the car could be swapped back over to EFI in the future. Also, the previous ignition module that was on the car shat itself at a race meeting and there's nothing worse than having something trivial like that ruin a whole weekends racing. Reliability had a lot to do with it. I'm still tossing up what I'm going to do with the ECU. I'd quite like to sell it but then I have to spend time installing a Megasquirt or something. I'm quite a fan of the simplicity of the carbs to be honest so I'm not going to swap to EFI unless there's a good reason to.

Interesting that you bought those wheels Jif. I wonder why he sold them. What size are they? Possibly too small for the big brakes or too narrow for decent tyres...

Man I would go EFI in 0.2 seconds if I had a G4 sitting in the car, they are a real sweet ECU, I'm all for MS but if had a G4 there is no way I would change it out for a MS. Quad throttles with a propper plenum and it will make more power everywhere, plus better drivability, starting, easier to tune if you make any upgrades. Plus you will make some good coin selling the carbs