Mikeys '72 Datsun 240z

mikey

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Woah, I've missed like the last 3 weeks of messages here. Damn these emails not working. 

At a guess:

Easier to keep road legal / easier to get in and out of seats / dont need harness & race seats etc / isnt a full blown race car / dont want to die in a roll over

Pretty much all these reasons. I think race seats and a full cage is a step too for for a street car. Which begs the question, why bother at all? Mostly because my wife insisted after I told her what speeds we get up to on the track.

Personally I doubt a half cage does much for safety anyhow, unless you're adding harnesses, but don't tell her that. I really don't want to lose the factory seats. 

As far a homologation goes I don't know if there's much point is there? Since a half cage doesn't really get you in anywhere? Or maybe that's not true, you need a half for some hill climbs don't ya? Hmmm Maybe I should look into it. I don't know anything about that jazz. Sounds complicated!

Actually, it might be cool to move all this tacho talk to a dedicated thread? Seems a few people are doing later model engine conversions now and having similar issues. I can't even get my tacho working with an aftermarket ecu and no idea where to start.

I'll split the tach related posts into a tacho tech thread later, if you're happy with that Mikey?

Yeah sweet, it's on the back burner a little bit at the moment while I do some easier/more rewarding jobs! But I'll get back into it next week cos the wahine is away. I'm giving myself a deadline of getting it running by next Sunday, so expect some progress!

Sorry for the slow reply, my email alert seems to have stopped. 

A very minor update to the tacho discussion. I hooked up the ignition signals to some steering diodes and then measured the output with the scope and got this:

IMG_20130502_193447.jpg

So that's good, all seems to be working OK. However, after I hooked up my tacho I got no movement. So either the signal can't drive my new needle driving circuit or I've somehow broken it. 

As far a homologation goes I don't know if there's much point is there? Since a half cage doesn't really get you in anywhere? Or maybe that's not true, you need a half for some hill climbs don't ya? Hmmm Maybe I should look into it. I don't know anything about that jazz. Sounds complicated!

Just get it done. Technically you can be turned away from any MSNZ event if you have a non-homologated roll structure, so it's even more useless if you don't get it sorted. 

And you'll be able to do all sorts of cool events with the half cage - hillclimbs, club level racing (usually in winter) and any non-championship summer race events too. 

Go and do it. You'll need to fill out a logbook application and get the cage builder to fill out the homologation form, then it's done forever. 

• 4 weeks later...

Not many hidden surprises by the looks - epic stripping effort - nice work!

Woah,

How long did that take?

What did you do it with?

It took about 4 hours for 3-4 people, so probably would've taken aaaages to do myself! Plus I would've been bored out of my brains.

Used poly strip discs on the angle grinder:

IMG_20130622_155225.jpg

How was that roof?

The roof was pretty sweet, there was some surface rust under the bog, but all solid after a quick clean up.

So all good on the rust front, not so good on the bog front, there was a shit load of the stuff! Just about every panel looks like it's had marbles shot at it :(