Rear seat & belt removal - Legalities.

Vintage Grumble

I suck at internets, cant find anything regarding rear seat and belt removals. What I want to know is do you have to get a cert to obtain a WOF with rear seats and belts removed? I had a crazy feeling back in the day you could do this and still get WOF's if you permanently coverd/block up the seat belt mounting points? Can anyone show me/tell me the rules regarding this kinda shit? Would prefer to ditch rear gear so I dont have to stick it back in to get WOF's.

Any help/info would be tumeke.

I think it depends largely on the mood of your wof man at the time,

I took my 323 wagon through for a wof a couple of weeks back (it is regd as 323 van) with no rear seats or belts, had everything removed and holes covered and he wouldnt have a bar of it! made me put it all back in. I think it is meant to be legit as long as everything is removed but that was my experiance

well, when I tried to get the RX-7 complied as a two-seater the VINZ inspector said I had to totally cover the mounting points, and simply welding over them/putting bolts in and leaving bare metal was no longer acceptable. Installing some sort of professionally moulded and carpeted cover is by far the tidiest way of doing it, albeit expensive/time consuming.

in my case, the easiest solution is to source a USDM two-seater interior. Which I'm still searching for :doubt:

I changed my car to a registered 2 seater after finding self tappers holding the rear seat belts in.(and no factory mounts)

They assured me that I will not have to remove the seat next WOF but I won't know for a few months what will happen with that battle.

It’s never been a biggie for me.

Isn’t it first registered in 1976 the change over for needing rear seat belts.

My 1972 Hillman had a damaged rear seat belt and failed a WOF. I just pulled all the rear seat belts out of the back, left the seat in place and got a WOF . The inspector just wrote a note of the sheet. “Damaged belt removed”

These cars always had mounting points for belts in the rear, but rear belts were only an optional extra when purchasing the new car. (you had to pay extra for the rear belts to be fitted).

If the car is pre 1976 then they have no legs to stand on. Even if the mounting points are there.

But otherwise in post 1976 vehicles the WOF inspector is only doing their job and complying with legislation.

I changed my car to a registered 2 seater after finding self tappers holding the rear seat belts in.(and no factory mounts)

They assured me that I will not have to remove the seat next WOF but I won't know for a few months what will happen with that battle.

So you didnt need a cert, just changed the info on the reg?

No, just knew someone at VINZ who changed it for me after I showed him my problem and my unwillingness to drill holes etc to fit them, since they had put a few WOF's on it it was probably in their best interests. But as I say I haven't had to get a WOF yet, I'm not expecting that it would be reasonable to have a seat and no belts......

I removed a lot of seats from wagons so they can be work vans and get WOF's sweet, but sometimes they want a cage separating cabin from wagon.

Isn’t it first registered in 1976 the change over for needing rear seat belts.

If the car is pre 1976 then they have no legs to stand on. Even if the mounting points are there.

But otherwise in post 1976 vehicles the WOF inspector is only doing their job and complying with legislation.

I think it was 79 that rear belts were first required - my Avenger was a 78 and it didn't have them

i went to VTNZ for a wof in my 2dr corolla that is called a 'corolla van' on the rego, it still had the factory paint in the seat belt holes, they made me put seats and belts into it, that or i could weld over it, then fill in a form and they would change the rego to 2 seater after a quick check-over

i wasn't very happy about this and made them look up my rego and sure enough in the computer it said 5 seater, after that i couldn't see the point in arguing with them

I just went to have a yarn with my lax WOF guy, turns out hes no longer in business :doubt:

So I went to see back up WOF guy, whos normally a bit strict, and he said its sweet as to have no back seats/belts? Said he'll give me a WOF as long as its all gone, said if you have seats, you have to have belts and vise-versa, and that theres nothing in the rule book about having to have them in there, he'll just make a note in the system that they are gone. :D

Have failed a wof on no rear seats before, was easier to bang them in than fight it at the time. But i'm pretty sure there is nothing to say you can't take seats and belts out of the rear. The VIRM stats at the start that a drivers seat is mandatory, so maybe only need one seat. I CBF reading the whole pdf, but here it is: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm- ... terior.pdf

Two questions from me please...

1. Wanting to register my 73 RS1600 for the first time in NZ. It has no rear belts and has never had them. Not sure on the mounts as I have bever looked. But from the above coments I am hoping I dont need to fit them for compliance?

2. Whats the story with front Harness fittings? My Mk2 has only front seats and I have harness fittings in there only. Only thing is the harness set I have is about 6 years old, although brand new and never used. Can I still fit these?

Cheers...

Yeh, if they are 3 inch/ones with expiry dates, you have to have cage/log book and so on, but you are able to have club sport spec ones (no exp date/2" wide/std buckle) in there along with the std belts. I have 2 inch club sport ones with no expiry dates on them, and have them mounted at the factory seat belt anchor points (under rear seat and so on) but it is illegal to use them while on the road (so I was told by WOF man)

p1020393gk3.jpg