Yoeddynz's 1985 Hino N0915 housetruck build.

yoeddynz

I like the old leylands.

Lockeddiff. yep indeed high risk areas and already with the rain so far the windows are getting a good dosing!

several things i have planned.

I want to make rain deflectors every where possible. I dont know if thats the right word - hannah takes the piss every time i say it but what else should they be called. anyway- I want to make them to cover all windows and the pop outs plus some big ones to give etxtra cover around the veranda.

EDIT. The pine is taking in water along other edges that have yet been protected. some bits are sodden right through. I'm in a state of depression this morning! We have decided the pine is getting removed and treated ply is going up. Money isnt the issue here but all the time wasted putting the pine up is!!!!!!!!!! pissed off and sad at the same time.

We want a truck that will last and this pine wont. Its a real shame as we both love the look of it!

Any alternative ideas welcome.

alex

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i seen your truck the other day driving into town didn't realize it was the same one till i looked on here and saw you were in blenheim lol it looks huge will it fit through tunnels in kaikora?

could you not put the plywood pannels up and then the pine over top i know this will add extra weight and more time but that way you can still have the look??

yeah- that would be pretty heavy. Plus the pine will still soak up water/rot.

Sad as it is we are gonna have to let the pine go and try and make the ply look nice.

Maybe board and batten style.

I'M GUTTED to say the least. :(

(without sounding like a dick) im curious as to what you thought untreated wood was going to do, especially since it doesnt appear to have been dried or anything so will still be retaining sap and etc and expanding slightly when waterlogged.

Why not got it put in a kiln and treated if money isnt an issue?

like the last guy said, is there no way you can treat or seal the pine to protect it like a varnish or kiln dried h3 with a stan over like they do for decks or somthing? i don't use wood for much usually it metal so its a bit over my head lol.

well ive learned a lesson or two.

we were originally planned and budgeted to use ply before we got truck but discovered this siding so went that way instead. Money is an issue as far as we cant afford fancy woods.

I thought that stain wood work well and it di on the faces but that didnt stop water entering the ends- next time we will make proper capping so the ends are not exposed.

we are looking at doing the treated ply in a board and batten style. Or possibly use some western red cedar if we can score a deal on it....

Flax...... Yep, bet no other house truck has this. Get a load of flax, get some local Maori dudes or culturally aware, learned white fellas who can make flax mats ( at Marlborough Boys even I got taught), weave up heaps of mats then line over the ply. Will look sweet, but may need to be replaced every few years unless you wax them regularly.

cheers dude- I'm a bit happier about it now- yesterday we fitted the first 3 of 22 sheets of ply! this time we are starting at the top and working down!

Already feels cosier, The ply goes up one gazzilion times faster than the pine and this stuff will last.

doesn't look as funky but will be smart when finished.

Hmmmm ~ Flax. we used to have some massive flax plants in our garden. I remember making all that flax stuff at Whitney street school. memories...

• 4 weeks later...

This is still the build thread I look forward to reading the most...

What prior experience do you have with woodwork? Are you a builder or cabinetmaker or just generally handy with wood?

Knowing how to build my own so I don't have leaks or have it rot away under me is daunting me to say the least...

Though I have a clear direction in my head of what I want to build.

Further to Gaz's query re flashings, with the pop outs are the 'rooftops' on them pitched at all or flat? Bitumen coated or just ply?

Was thinking if the popouts are out when it rains then you could end up with water sitting up there, plus then pushing them back in would effectively bring that water inside.

Has this already occurred to you? Keen to hear how you have designed them if you have.

Plus one on awesomeness.

Ohhh lots of questions...

I have only had experience with wood from what I have learned by building the last 3 trucks- everyday I learn something. Give me metal anyday and I'll machine it to death but I dont think i'm very flash with wood. Luckily we like our trucks to look rustic eh because they certainly end up that way.

Flashings.. we have loads of them planned. All the windows need batons around them, the joins between the sheets will have batons over them. Once this is done then I will make shutters/big 'rain deflectors sort of things. We want to avoid rain getting near the windows just so the glass stays clear on rainy days so I can look out with my cup of tea.

The popout roofs... Yep. they have a 100mm drop and then curved as well so the water runs to the corners. It then drains out via 16mm alloy tube that runs down inside the steel pop out frame. The ply is covered in the same rubber paint as rest of roof. I'll put a photo up which will make it clearer.

Insulation....Yep. There will be 40mm thick polystyrene under roof and in the walls.

There is 30mm under the floorboards. It was meant to be 40mm but I made a bit of a fuck up in my plans (which I must add are constantly changing here and there with other mini fuck ups)

I'm gonna add some photos to thread now of new floor....

alex

This is coming along big time.

At risk of sounding critical I just have a suggestion on the looks. Side on - sweet, cool and unusual shape. From the front..... The bedroom over cab is large, brown and oppressive, I'm imagining that coming through a tunnel towards you, be like a rat looking at a big brown poo turding it's way down the toilet tube. Are you gonna put a window up there? That would make a difference, break it up and give you guys a good view

Yeah there are 3 windows to go in on the front. One big stained glass one in the middle and smaller leadlights on each side. It looks terrible the way it is. I can imagine most people who have been watching the truck get built as they walk by must think the same.

What is the room above the rear door for?

I presume storage but never really took much notice of it before I saw the picture of the rear half..

I don't really know what I am talking about but is the rear door outward swinging to maximize space?

Is it going to be a pain in the ass when you open the doors from low down on the steps and you have to stand back as the door swings open?