Yoeddynz's 1985 Hino N0915 housetruck build.

yoeddynz

This weekend in chch we have bought ...

200 meters of rimu floorboards at a bargain price,

one lovely western red cedar and rimu door,

enough sheets of 20mm polystyrene that we ended up having to leave some - another trade me bargain saving us $400,

4 more leadlight windows,

10 litres of tredgrip paint for the roof,

and one oldschool rev counter (for my viva)

Van is now packed! Back home tomorrow. Beer and pork roast time now...

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That old Dodge house truck build looks scary. Does it come with a couple of cap wearing check shirted hillbilly rednecks with a skinny mistreated dog called Skeeter? Id be looking for hidden room with some rusty old chains, blood on the walls and THE SMELL OF DEATH ;)

I was gonna post a pic of some hicks but don't know how to add photos. Do you use something like photobucket and put the URL in? Too lazy to look it up on help section

the polystyrine good idea for insulation. Saw this used on gay home improvement program called grand designs where the people building an undrground house used it on the outside of the concrete, they used 300ml thickness! You could use that on the outside of your truck then use hot wire to carve cool shapes in it like dolphins and shit, then park up at Kaikora and charge two dollar for Japanese tourists to take photo in front of it.

You could even carve the whole in shape of modern White fridge motorhome and sell it for many dollar

There was a craze in the states back in the 70's for Foam houses. They would build a basic wire frame and build walls with chicken wire. Then they would spray expanding foam onto the walls inside and outside. Once set it could be carved into shape and smoothed.

But they soon became obsolete due to health problems from vapours leaching from the foam :rolleyes:

Looked cool though! I'm sure there are better foams now but I still dont like the idea of being surrounded by manmade stuff. Wood is Good! :D

On another topic, I have posted this build up on Retro-Rides and someone on there doesn't believe the photos from the inside of that modern 6 wheeled truck I put up are real. And after a google search it appears a lot of people didn't believe the photos. So I replied with this...

"yeah they are photos from inside that truck - I you look carefully it has a raising roof - quite common , there are even some in NZ using the same system. This gives loads more room. One truck I know raising the roof about 1.5 meters. You can see the scew list in the corners of the living room.

So those side windows are exposed when the roof lifts. and the bedroom is above the kitchen area- but can only be accessed when the roof is up.

Imagine how tall our truck could be.... 8)

But if you still don't believe..."

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/garbage-truck-home.shtml

unicat offroad motorhomes

And while on the subject of total madness here is truck build I followed a few years back. This truck is amazing! I love the build thread- very well written and funny.

So make a big pot of tea, stoke up the bong or what ever floats your boat and check out this one...

Rob Grays 'Wotthahellizat'

Whoever said the MAN was a garbage truck and not real is a fucking tool. Its a huge $$ oil feild exporation truck, and if you can afford to buy that cab and chassis just just to use as an rv then theres gonna be no limit to what you can afford to do with the back end of it for a house.

If anyones thinking of building an offorad rv heres a few more cab and chassis options http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/big- ... rucks.html

• 3 weeks later...

ohhhh they aint that posh! Maybe in the future when get my own lathe (one day, one day...) I could turn them out and push some bearings in but I dont think they will need it- I have drilled a small grease port in each one though. They roll sweet as under load.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet to see the updates. The cladding looks better than I expected. If I knew how to add pics to this i was going to photoshop a common garden shed on to a flat deck. Asynchronous pop outs eh? any reason for that? I'm guessing it gives you space to walk through or a more intersting shape. Unless I'm seeing the photos wrong. Like the look of the bonnet props - are they those Burrman cats?

asyncronus? Does that mean offset? They are offset because one will be a dining room table and seating for 4. That will be opposite the wood stove and next to kitchen. The other one will have a sofa and is directly opposite the workbench. Then after a hard stint of filing or hacksawing i can stumble backwards and fall into my sofa with my cup of tea perched next to it on a little shelf with car and cycling magazines opposite. Heaven.

You know your pussy's! They are indeed birmans. They are a breed in which we humans have bred out all the wild hunting instincts, skills etc so making them more soft, innocent, fluffy and cute. Very cool cats though. .

you must have connections out there that you can score a nice truck cheap.

I think a good idea that we could have done if we had more time to search would be to re-power a nice old school truck thats on classic rego. Saving more monies and having something old and sweet!

hey there i was just flicking threw your pictures and i noticed that you dont have any flashings in the high risk areas that are bound to leak over time ,like above and below the windows and at the bottom of the first weather board ? the water will track inside at this point, the weather board needs to be 50mm below your finshed floor height to create a drip edge for the water run off and also stops capillary rise of the water, im curious to what your going to do in these areas... 8) anyway awesome project mate housebus.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us