Yoeddynz's 1985 Hino N0915 housetruck build.

yoeddynz

cheers guys. It is feeling cosy now. still a few gaps to cover like around the popouts- i need to go to bunnings in nelson and get some of that fluffy(?) door bottom seal for the bottom of popout where it will run over floor. I have tonight almost sealed off the back and the kitty cat was stumped as to how he gets in with door shut. So we have now included 2 cat flap holes- one from ground into bike storage box and one from there into truck through another hole. he loves it! will get photos...

The door does indeed open backwards but unless your a dwarf its easy to open from standing on the deck. There is one truck ive seen where door slides into wall which is a neat idea but we always planned and wanted a proper old second hand wooden door for full effect - we love the door in all its old dirty water stained wood looks.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers guys. It is feeling cosy now. still a few gaps to cover like around the popouts- i need to go to bunnings in nelson and get some of that fluffy(?) door bottom seal for the bottom of popout where it will run over floor. I have tonight almost sealed off the back and the kitty cat was stumped as to how he gets in with door shut. So we have now included 2 cat flap holes- one from ground into bike storage box and one from there into truck through another hole. he loves it! will get photos...

can you not get that fluffy stuff from M10 mega?

Hey mate, congrats on your hard work paying off - it's looking really really cool. Love your work.

Just one thing about your insulation with the poly, if you can, you don't want any gaps between the sheet and the frame aye. Have quite a bit of training in eco houseing/sustainability and have learnt that having gaps or missing insulation affects the preformence of it big time aye. So just a thought for ya to help keep ya warm, try keep the poly fitting as snug as possible! :wink:

Keep up the good work and the awesome postings.

sweet- cheers. we try to fit it in tight otherwise the poly falls out while putting up tonque and groove.

We wont be short of heat for now- we have bought a wood burner cheap on trademe- picking it up at end of month. Its a fairly big house one with a wetback- just to see us through until I get around to building my own one.

Its already much much warmer than outside with no heaters but for our body heat and some lights. :)

The rimu we have been busy putting up is looking amazing! so happy with it. Hopefully we should have enough of it to cover the main areas that will be seen. then fill in the bits behind where benches will be etc.

:D Imagine many many of them little fluffy monkeys packed into the walls- what great insulation!

And a good talking point. Though some people frown upon using monkeys etc for such things.

But after a while they would begin to smell :(

• 5 weeks later...

shit haven't commented in here for months.

looking good bud. on the home stretch it would seem?

gutted I didn't have time to come round when we hit your neck of the woods on friday. only had time/alertness to get a motel, have a munch and a rum then hit the hay. next time.....

still very keen to do similar myself but jeeze i think it'd be biting off more than I can chew...

cheers - next time you are passing through pop by for a cuppa- This is still a long way off from being finished! I think we too underestimated how long it is gonna take. And all the time we are slowly but surely burning through our savings on it.

But its all good fun :D

• 2 weeks later...
:D Imagine many many of them little fluffy monkeys packed into the walls- what great insulation!

And a good talking point. Though some people frown upon using monkeys etc for such things.

But after a while they would begin to smell :(

It would be fine. Just let them out for a run every now and again.

I'm pretty amazed at the speed at which this thing came together. I check the thread only every few weeks, so I'm so impressed to see that its almost all there. Very nice work.

Now start saving up to import those monkeys.

• 2 weeks later...

motorway speeds? :D hehe - your funny. but yeah- we have started putting lexan in front of all windows...mainly to keep mr vtnz man happy.

Its quite amazing how tough leadlight windows are though- in big earth quakes it quite usual for them to be the only windows left intact as they flex rather than crack.

Good thing about the lexan is that the leadlights stay clean. bad thing is that the lexan will scratch easily. Perspex aint allowed as it can still shatter.

Good thing about the lexan is that the leadlights stay clean. bad thing is that the lexan will scratch easily.

I know its expensive but have you considered using the motorsport grade lexan with the scratch "proof" (read: resistant) coating? It is literally 4 times the price, so very hard to justify, but after looking around at the difference between that and the cheap stuff, I think I'm sold on going for the expensive stuff. I talked to a guy up here who will sell it to me cut to suit, so I won't have to purchase a whole sheet ($1200) so thats a bonus too. (The sheets are huge for that price, something like 2500mm x 5000mm)