QCADTA

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes this car is coming to nats.

fucking super mega extreme busy trying to get it sorted for the trip. we plan to head on after nats and spend a couple of weeks traveling around the south.

still heaps of shit to do.

but things that have been done include re-upolstered seats and new carpets, radio installed and many wires connected to things. had a few gremlins and still sorting these out, for instance the temp sensor for the radiator fan is not sensing the temperature change quickly enough so the temp goes to high before it clicks on and then it tries to pull the temp down way to low. this is hopefully being fixed by running a variable trigger that runs off the temp gauge. time will tell. i have a manual switch for now which is fine but its not right if you know what i mean.

and the other thing that has fucked out is the airbag controller. its not working properly when i plug the antenna for the remote in. its a software problem apparently, ride tech are sending me the software update and things i need to fix it which hopefully should sort the problem.

apart from that i have no other issues. it drives wonderfully and cruses at the hundy with ease. there is little to no wind noise at cruse and it rides like a magic carpet on air. that has been lowered a bit. there is a tiny flat spot in the middle of the rev range but i think my conservative timing (8 degrees) might be the culprit and its possibly running a bit lean too. 

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

yes this car is coming to nats.

fucking super mega extreme busy trying to get it sorted for the trip. we plan to head on after nats and spend a couple of weeks traveling around the south.

still heaps of shit to do.

but things that have been done include re-upolstered seats and new carpets, radio installed and many wires connected to things. had a few gremlins and still sorting these out, for instance the temp sensor for the radiator fan is not sensing the temperature change quickly enough so the temp goes to high before it clicks on and then it tries to pull the temp down way to low. this is hopefully being fixed by running a variable trigger that runs off the temp gauge. time will tell. i have a manual switch for now which is fine but its not right if you know what i mean.

and the other thing that has fucked out is the airbag controller. its not working properly when i plug the antenna for the remote in. its a software problem apparently, ride tech are sending me the software update and things i need to fix it which hopefully should sort the problem.

apart from that i have no other issues. it drives wonderfully and cruses at the hundy with ease. there is little to no wind noise at cruse and it rides like a magic carpet on air. that has been lowered a bit. there is a tiny flat spot in the middle of the rev range but i think my conservative timing (8 degrees) might be the culprit and its possibly running a bit lean too. 

get a thermistor from Trident catalog, they have temp ratings in the book. weld a nut to some stainless pipe, insert into you radiator hoes with new thermistor , run that shit to a relay and bam you now have auto fans, 

the trident book has so great options , so you can set it up to have a fail safe switch system if you want to muck around enough . i ran mine with a duel circuit relay.something with opposite polled circuits so if the temp got up the thermistor would  turn the fan on,  or if the thermistor or any other part of the circuit failed it would earth out the the other side of the relay and the fans would run continuously with the key on . for the thermistor i boiled the thermostat to find out it opening temp , then added 10 degrees that worked out well enough for finding the right temp thermistor was about 97 degrees from memory, i tried one at 108 but that was too hot i think and it didn't have a chance to bring it down fast enough.  the fans wouldn't come on in normal traffic or any normal operating conditions , but if you were to start baking up the tires for a few mins , they would come on at about 3 quarters high on the temp gauge, this gave it enough time for the fans to do there job and bring it back down. it all was actually very easy to make and wire up. 

this was one of the very first modifications i ever did . the trident catalog has many different options even from multiple configuration pins and circuits to even multiple temperature switching and they are bloody cheap to buy. 

your engine bay is very tidy , and i know its kind of crude fitting it into the top hose , maybe if you have a big enough tap or even throw it on a machine and thread mill your thermostat housing, that could be a nice and tidy option for housing the sensor ?

the problem its having is because of a thermister.

its got a craig davis one in it and its not reacting fast enough. i don't want to do any modifications that will look messy and have wires going all over the place so we are going to trigger the fan from the temp gauge.

its almost done, just trying to figure out some details and it will be sorted.

the problem its having is because of a thermister.

its got a craig davis one in it and its not reacting fast enough. i don't want to do any modifications that will look messy and have wires going all over the place so we are going to trigger the fan from the temp gauge.

its almost done, just trying to figure out some details and it will be sorted.

yeah I've used the craig davis one before, the one you hang in the hose i thought it was rubbish, and for the price you pay i felt almost ripped off that it didn't work that well  .  that is what made me go the other route with a thermistor out of a catalog, and because of the urgency needed i had to do the nut on a pipe idea as i needed my car to drive me to work the next day but a thought occurred to me last night that if you are trying to hide all the wiring then you could put it in the radiator its self , that way all the fan and fan wiring etc all could be neatly wired and run out of sight at the bottom. but since you speak of it almost being finished . . . i am interested in how you are tripping it with the use of the temp gauge if you don't mind me asking how have you gone about it??

I made a little PWM fan control circuit that increases the fan speed as the temperature rises, instead of just flicking it on and off. Haven't properly tested it (and I dunno where it is anymore) but theoretically it should only spin the fan fast enough to maintain the desired temperature.

Dunno if you'd prefer the fan spinning constantly at half speed as opposed to cycling on and off though.