Flywheels Exploding

zep

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

talked to gman bout thins in depth b4.he had one explode racing on manfeild, bits went everywhere, throught gearbox tunnel bounced off dash and embedded in his leg, another went throuh door.

I wouldnt be worried tho, seems its just the luck of the draw, and if your getting somone who knows what they are doing and your not taking a ridiculas amount outa it and being balanced well then it will be fine.

yuh balancing's thje key

g-man was bangin' 8grand as well. made a cunt of a mess of bellhousing and tunnel etc. has scars on leg from it

awesome

Just get a scatter shield, problem fixed. Slam like 3mm steel all over that stz

haha fuck that, how bout we just continue discussing if its actually going to explode in the first place and try and stop that from happening, rather than shitting a gearbox, clutch and flywheel just for the sake of ignorance :lol: You're probably only joking but it doesn't matter :P

Anyway.. I went and talked more about it in my lunch break. My flywheel is a mammoth at 10kgs! He believes he'll be able to take around 4kgs off it and the way they are doing it makes sense to me. I'll post before and after pics with my big project update soon.

Cheers guys, feel a bit better now.

Yeah, you rarely hear of this happening to a piston car, and that rotary at the summer drags is the only one in NZ I have actually heard of.

The clutch I have is a an Exedy heavy duty one, but nothing mega-extreme, so I don't think that will be a problem. It's all been well balanced with the clutch too.

Will have to wait and see how my G161 revs there brad, don't make any assumptions now! :P

Staceys 130tc's done that, broke the flywheel into two pieces.

Cracked a perfect ring around where the flywheel bolts bolt up.

Nothing too major, just went bang and stopped.

Make sure you torque the flywheel bolts tight! It sucks when the flywheel comes off, speaking from experience.

Yeah, you rarely hear of this happening to a piston car, and that rotary at the summer drags is the only one in NZ I have actually heard of.

pretty sure this happened at last summerdrags too. white dx, fly cut fuel lines, fuel pump kept going as left the ign on and yah, big fire.

really should micky up the pump to oil press so when that goes the fuel stops. also good for not fucking your motary.

have heard this happening in minis aswell. scary considering your body is inline with it.

shounds like you've gone about it the right way so woundnt be worried at all.

rofl, i lost a flywheel once. used low tensile bolts instead of high. was noob as. :oops:

only broke duing cranking which was ~900rpm

shake rattled n rolled for about 30 secs after engine was turned off. left awesome marks inside bellhousing.

of course i re used it :lol:

rofl, i lost a flywheel once. used low tensile bolts instead of high. was noob as. :oops:

only broke duing cranking which was ~900rpm

shake rattled n rolled for about 30 secs after engine was turned off. left awesome marks inside bellhousing.

of course i re used it :lol:

Iv seen that happen, a mate had a pinto built up for his esky by a local engine shop, 1st time he booted it (got up to about 6500rpm in 3rd) after running it in the bolts (or possibly the center of the flywheel) let go sending bits of flywheel/clutch/bellhousing etc through the inner guard, tunnel and firewall!

Guest sexychevette

pretty sure this happened at last summerdrags too. white dx, fly cut fuel lines, fuel pump kept going as left the ign on and yah, big fire.

really should micky up the pump to oil press so when that goes the fuel stops. also good for not fucking your motary.

have heard this happening in minis aswell. scary considering your body is inline with it.

shounds like you've gone about it the right way so woundnt be worried at all.

yeah that was awesome. Also happened that other year to that little suzuki van aswell. Went straight through the floor, grazed his bucket seat and bounced off the roof :lol: was lols