Abarth

Members
  • Content Count

    741
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

956 Excellent

About Abarth

  • Rank
    Post Fiend
  • Birthday 13/07/1985

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male

Converted

  • Local Area
    Auckland

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Old discussion thread appears to have vanished. Aiming to get her ready for Mad Mikes summer bash in December, realistically it could all be good to go next week but want to do the front shocks next and convert them to shortened Bilsteins. Currently Koni adjustable sup front which are good but they are standard length and bottom out fairly easy.
  2. Pics, Also tried some new rims out on the Punto, I liked the style but 17s looked a bit big.
  3. Done a fair bit since last update. Got some rear Bilstein inserts added to the rear shocks, slightly shorter to match the ride height. Also pressed in new wishbone bushes. Tested the travel without the spring and it looks much better than before. Fixed a lot of the wiring after a rat ate part of the main loom. Starts and runs now but the rat ate through the Rev counter wire so I still have to fix this. Gave it a polish yesterday and wrote a list of things that need attention, mainly some small ‘beauty spots’ aka rust bubbles that I want to remove before they become a bigger issue. Mainly the interior as there is surface rust on the floor under the sound deadening which is flaking off.
  4. Where’d you get the coil and the condenser from? I think mines got a condenser issue as it runs good at full throttle for 1min before the power dies off. Plus keen to have newer electronics as mines all OG. Looks super tidy too!
  5. The Supertrapp style mufflers are all good, I added more baffle and took some rings out to quiet it down a bit.
  6. Sounds pretty much the same lol, maybe a bit more deeper sounding but still loud. Fk it loud pipes save lives.
  7. Been running this round a bit, not too far from the house but just enough to get the motor warmed up. Runs better and better as the engine breaks in. Its loud and sounded a bit tinny so I cracked open the supertrapp and found an ok amount of baffle packing wrapped in masking tape. Brought some new packing which was a bit more like a cloud than a blanket so I packed that inside and wrapped it in the OG packing. The result was a much more bulkier baffle also upgraded the strapping with steel zip ties to hold it tighter. Since these are a Supertrapp style exhaust they have a heap of exhaust rings which are spaced with washers, the space between the rings lets the exhaust out. I ended up removing 3 to reduce the noise. Quite cool how adjustable it is. Anyways I’ll see what it all sounds like tomorrow as it got too late to fire it up.
  8. Think I’ve found it’s sweet spot, needle 2 turns down the carb slide. Seems to make the most power. Raised the motor too which I think helped running but is slides down the stem as you steer. All was going well until it got some rope caught in the prop as it was going along bringing the prop to sudden halt with the motor still running full steam. Made a huge grinding sound followed by a bang. Thought it lunched the gearbox initially but on closer inspection the prop spring driving it had done its job and snapped protecting the prop.
  9. Hmmm seems like there is a bunch of sediment in the tank that keeps blocking the main pilot jet as it steadily ran worst and worst in rough conditions and eventually broke down lol. Rowed back to shore and drained the tank. Ran out of light so I’ll clean the carb tomorrow. Also noticed it has the worst possible spark plug cap so Ill pick up a rubber one from the auto shop down the road.
  10. Finally got Sparkels out on the water to test the new carb. Super easy to start now, first pull and she’s away. It’s running a mix of 1:20 ish, probably closer to 1:15 as I poured slightly more oil in. Anyways out on the water it ran great at 3/4 throttle. Full throttle it bogged down a bit and seemed like it was running out of fuel. Adjusted the needle height a couple times out at sea to try let in more fuel which slight fixed it not fully. Want to adjust the height of the prop as it sits low in the water and apparently fills the exhaust tube with water making it smaller and less effective with the 2 stroke pulses. Sea trials will continue tomorrow.....
  11. I remember I was walking to work in London once and a guy drove past over London Bridge with his cafe BMW with a yellow tank, looked awesome.
  12. Installed and set the points gaps. Gave it a quick tune with the glass plugs and took it for a ride. So much better now, throttle is crisp and no stuttering under acceleration. I was worried as a lot of people have trouble running CV carbs with trumpets but everything seems fine. Eventually I’d like to get it on the dyno. Came back and pulled the plugs. They lookish, one is running a bit leaner than the other but I think I can tune that out with the air/fuel mix. Had an issue with the Joker Machine tachometer blanking plug as it has no O ring to seal off oil which lead to a massive oil leak. Bunged in a fibre washer which did nothing. I’ll have to buy an o ring kit and try a few.
  13. Continuing on with most things being fkd on this bike it was having spark issues. Setting the points was an issue where the old points plate was so bent and threads stripped that after a 5 min ride it was all out of tune again. Also the HT leads from the coil was broken in multiple places and these factory coils have the lead built into them. Ordered a brand new aftermarket coil set and a complete genuine points plate. While I did that I swapped out the air fuel mixture adjustment screw to a cone type as I was having trouble adjusting it to get it lean enough to not blacken the plugs Progress pics
  14. Man that guys got skills! Sounds so good!