For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the engine mount brackets look ok, sometimes those cortina style engine mounts are too soft depending on the rubber

the gearbox x member may need more strength if its 3mm. hard to judge that till its bolted in

Cheers Cletus, I'd just be getting the engine mounts and rubbers not the gearbox crossmember

While we are on the engine mount subject

I have not got a lot of room to use my stock mx5 rubber mounts

Or the big steel cup around them

Is it ok to use generic round rubber mounts like in those photos

Looking at some landrover ones that are low profile

Stock mount location on crossmember - rubber mounts with 10mm studs- 6mm steel plates onto engine

Ticketed welds on the plates

Sound ok ?

While we are on the engine mount subject

I have not got a lot of room to use my stock mx5 rubber mounts

Or the big steel cup around them

Is it ok to use generic round rubber mounts like in those photos

Looking at some landrover ones that are low profile

Stock mount location on crossmember - rubber mounts with 10mm studs- 6mm steel plates onto engine

Ticketed welds on the plates

Sound ok ?

a trap with that style of mount is there is no locking function like a lot of oe mounts, you have to have something to prevent the steering getting jammed up by the engine if the rubber mount breaks. Usually not a problem on a smaller engine that has a lot of clearance from the steering shaft, but is often an issue on something like a 1UZ

Can be fairly easily solved though

a trap with that style of mount is there is no locking function like a lot of oe mounts, you have to have something to prevent the steering getting jammed up by the engine if the rubber mount breaks. Usually not a problem on a smaller engine that has a lot of clearance from the steering shaft, but is often an issue on something like a 1UZ

Plenty of clearance from steering wheel shaft and unis

Not much room above the steering rack and crossmember

What's minimum clearance all round for engine to body shell or crossmember?

Can be fairly easily solved though

Let's try that again

Plenty of room to steering wheel shaft

Not much room between engine sump and steering rack / crossmember

What's the minimum clearance re commended / allowed

Engine is cradled in a V by the mounts so theoretically can't drop if they break

Real quick q,

The head of the "bolt" that holds my pack of leaf springs together Is rusted to fuck. It's Okay to replace that with a 12.9 tensile capscrew yeah? I'm also making lowering blocks, so I'll just make the locator dowel hole the same size as the head of the capscrew. And then the locator dowel on top to match the hole in the spring pad on the diff.

• Like 1

Min clearance would depend on how wobbly the mounts are, the main thing is to make sure the engine/ box can't touch the body including movement on the mounts.

the main problem with preventing anything bad happening with a broken mount is the engine rocking over under power- it's almost always the passenger side mount that breaks and you need to make sure it can't rock over and jam up the steering shaft

Real quick q,

The head of the "bolt" that holds my pack of leaf springs together Is rusted to fuck. It's Okay to replace that with a 12.9 tensile capscrew yeah? I'm also making lowering blocks, so I'll just make the locator dowel hole the same size as the head of the capscrew. And then the locator dowel on top to match the hole in the spring pad on the diff.

Yep that's fine to do

• Like 1

Let's try that again

Plenty of room to steering wheel shaft

Not much room between engine sump and steering rack / crossmember

What's the minimum clearance re commended / allowed

Engine is cradled in a V by the mounts so theoretically can't drop if they break

It's really easy- just use pin and eye bush mounts like on the end of a panhard bar.

Can just cruise to a wrecker, grab one rear link off something like a safari and cut the ends off.

It's really easy- just use pin and eye bush mounts like on the end of a panhard bar.

Can just cruise to a wrecker, grab one rear link off something like a safari and cut the ends off.

Yus been looking at that setup too but probably with new bits

All the wrecks where I am are still on the road or being hoarded= no real wreckers within 200km of me

Rockauto and trademe are my fastest parts suppliers

the hard part will be sealing it again? ie so the engine lid seals

could you make an angled throttle body adapter to move it out of the way

Space is tight everywhere but will have a look into such things, just exploring options at the moment

I can box and seal everthing so the engine lid so its still enclosed easy enough

• Like 1

FYI

the part in the rules that relates to fluid reservoir has been updated

"must be readily accessible to inspect and fill with fluid" is the wording

Does this apply to hydraulic clutch masters too? Mine is under the floor, and under the seat. Easy enough to check on a lift :)

Have a couple of questions Cletus
Ive had my starion struts cut and shortened to use adjustable KYB inserts. Then converted them to coilovers using welded on sleeves.
The welding was all done mig by a certified welder (have a copy of his ticket etc). Is there a need to have these xrayed? Any other forseeable problems?

if you go by the absolute letter of the law, any mods to suspension parts like that should be tig welded and crack tested.

However, i have certed quite a few struts modified like that ie just a sleeve welded on to the original strut, and ive never had one knocked back by LVVTA. IMO the weld in that situation does not have a lot of load on it for the size of the weld, so its not super critical, as opposed to a strut welded at the base which has steering/braking forces and weight bearing on the welded join

Clint, is the above still the case?

If so, do they need to be NDT?