For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

Hi Clint, I've acquired a new project, its a 36 stewart pick up colonial cab.

old guy died and the son gave it to me for free.

My question is; 

How\can I put it back on the rd without too much hassle? 

It has old black plates on it (ER7165) , nz rego stickers from the early 80's and two original body\build tags on it.

My father in law has 3 of them, reckons they came with all sorts of different engines, whatever was available at the time etc. He says I should restore it , put a flathead v8 in it with a toyota box, and that it won't need a cert, is he correct? we think it is set up for a flathead v8. only part that would differ is the gearbox crossmember. (I'm a ticketed welder)

heres a link to some photos if it helps,

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/53537-maxpower-1936-stewart-beater-pick-up/

P.s not wanting an expensive flashy hot rod just a cool old pickup 

Thanks in advance 

only if it has a declaration for said motor & gearbox I would think otherwise they would be expecting a 1936 motor & box to re-vin it (I could be well wrong But will be corrected in due course anyway)

could try LTNZ & see if they have anything on file for it? Declarations are a godsend (or wait for proper advice you might not want to arouse the suspicions if you don't need too etc)

• Like 1

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will need a cert/declaration for the gearbox swap alone so you may as well cert the whole vehicle once you have done all the modifications.

I am highly doubtful that the original driveshaft (it's probably a torque tube) will slot into the back of a Japanese gearbox.

• Like 1

You will need a cert/declaration for the gearbox swap alone so you may as well cert the whole vehicle once you have done all the modifications.

I am highly doubtful that the original driveshaft (it's probably a torque tube) will slot into the back of a Japanese gearbox.

no torque tube in this pickup, in that case I would look at running an old crash box of similar vintage. main aim of this is getting it on the rd and not just another project in the shed. cheers

• Like 1

you are going to need some information about what was originally in it to fly through the revin. unfortunately that doesnt probably exist anymore (like an order form from when it was first made sort of thing)

you dont need to have it original for a revin however. so just do what you want as per the cert process

• Like 1

sorry if being a bit vague but not up with the play on putting an old car back on the rd. I'm happy to get a cert, but I thought if you had done a few things then it would be considered a new build etc,

my biggest worry is that I don't have enough info to put it back on the rd. I can't get an ownership paper because the guys dead, I can probably get a statement from the geezers son saying it was his dads etc if it would help.

cheers for the help guys.

• Like 1

go to police station with the data you have and get a paper saying its of no interest

a note from the son stating that it was part of an estate and given to you may be nice to have also

iv done it before, but it may have changed since then

• Like 2

sorry if being a bit vague but not up with the play on putting an old car back on the rd. I'm happy to get a cert, but I thought if you had done a few things then it would be considered a new build etc,

my biggest worry is that I don't have enough info to put it back on the rd. I can't get an ownership paper because the guys dead, I can probably get a statement from the geezers son saying it was his dads etc if it would help.

Don't change any axles and don't Z/notch the frame and it shouldn't be classed as a new build.

go to police station with the data you have and get a paper saying its of no interest

a note from the son stating that it was part of an estate and given to you may be nice to have also

iv done it before, but it may have changed since then

This is fairly correct and good advise.  Get the note from the son asap

Don't change any axles and don't Z/notch the frame and it shouldn't be classed as a new build.

This is fairly correct and good advise.  Get the note from the son asap

cool, contacted the son and he is going to write a note with the chassis number etc, happy to keep original axles\diff, c notch after wof

• Like 1

You could ask the vintage car club to write you a letter with there letter head saying the truck is what it is

• Like 2

I've had a quick search through this thread.

Whats teh go with 'bolt on flares'

Do you only need a cert if you have to cut the original inner guards?

Do you have to have the newly cut inner/ outter guards welded together? - does this have to be done by a certified welder/ panel shop?

would you have to fill in the gap between the flare and the original body line with something?

After you cut the guards - how does this affect the cert process?

I'm trying to run 9" wid=e wheels on a aa60 carina on the back.

Cheers

I've had a quick search through this thread.

Whats teh go with 'bolt on flares'

Do you only need a cert if you have to cut the original inner guards?

Do you have to have the newly cut inner/ outter guards welded together? - does this have to be done by a certified welder/ panel shop?

would you have to fill in the gap between the flare and the original body line with something?

After you cut the guards - how does this affect the cert process?

I'm trying to run 9" wid=e wheels on a aa60 carina on the back.

Cheers

if you fit flares, without cutting, then it wont need a cert.

BUT

if you fit wheels that fill them out, that would more than likely require cert as the track width would have increased by more than 25mm.

For it to all work properly you will need to cut the guard up high enough, for the suspension to hit the bump stops, with the tyre still having clearance. The 2 bits need to be welded back together, a 10mm stitch every 50mm would be enough, you dont have to fully weld it, welding just has to be done by a competent welder, doesnt have to be done by a ticketed welder.

another thing to consider is if you are running small diameter (14 or 15'')x 9s, its quite hard to get a legal size tyre.

• Like 1