For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

Salutations,

So I'm thinking of converting my R32 to Macpherson strut because of reasons, but how about I check it's okay before cutting the towers up ?
Main concern is about cutting new mounting points for the struts, because as far as I'm aware cutting the strut tower is no bueno. Thoughts ?

Few people have done it, most notably Driftworks, but nobody has done it to a street car. Not here, anyway:
http://www.driftworks.com/blog/2010/06/the-driftworks-r32-suspension-conversion-explained/
That's a good photo of roughly where the new mounting points go.

So, that's my main concern. The conversion is made up of S13 coilovers, knuckles, hubs, LCA, tie rods and tension rods. I'm told they all bolt straight up,
and that the only thing to do is extend the swaybar mount. While I imagine that part of the job is okay, might as well list it and find out for sure.

Cheers in advance.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dear great brain of wisdom (Clint) please riddle me this.

Would a 61 belair (x-chasis) need drive shaft loops as its had a 355 chev plonked in it's hole?

Only asking as the "X" covers 70% of the drive shaft

Also any recommendations on a place in Auckland I can go to get compliance and cert from people that care? (had taken it to a compliance place that since collecting the car to fix a few things had curbed two wheels and rounded a wheel nut - don't want to go back)

(sample pic below)

37mg.jpg

Thanks x

Salutations,

So I'm thinking of converting my R32 to Macpherson strut because of reasons, but how about I check it's okay before cutting the towers up ?

Cant see a problem if that area of the strut tower is strong enough, which it should be.

Will need TAC approval and a 1D certifier to do it, however.

Would a 61 belair (x-chasis) need drive shaft loops as its had a 355 chev plonked in it's hole?

Only asking as the "X" covers 70% of the drive shaft

Also any recommendations on a place in Auckland I can go to get compliance and cert from people that care? (had taken it to a compliance place that since collecting the car to fix a few things had curbed two wheels and rounded a wheel nut - don't want to go back)

last one of those i did, when i filled out the paperwork i wrote it was not necessary or possible to fit loops due to the design of the chassis, it went through fine

as for compliance for american cars- north shore compliance on porana rd are pretty good, or western compliance on westward ho rd in kelston- talk to Mooks hes a good bloke

or C&P motors in grey lynn

Have Recaro seats mounted using vehicle specific Recaro rails. The seat belt stalk comes off the rails, if going for a re-cert would the stalk need to re-mounted off the tunnel (using those belt mount plates). Or possibly get away with keeping them as is due to being reptible brand rails with all the stickers and standards?

ok, going to ask a few retarded questions.

my cressida has had done to it

sectioned front struts with shorter inserts and cut springs, clearly all captive

shorter rear shocks with cut springs and bump stops

adjustable pan hard rod

shortened front section of a two piece drive shaft due to slam making it to long and touching gear box.

what problems would you for see with this stuff. I know i will need to make a hoop for the front section, will i need todo another one for the facory rear section? motor and trans are factory?

cheers?? also have mild concerns about diff pinion angle?? is this a valid thing to worry about?

Has anyone here ever used one of these forms?

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/32862/VCUEF-11-Application-for-exemption-from-land-transport-Rules.pdf

Thinking of importing a car, would meet all the requirements, but not the exhaust emissions. A long shot I know, but thought I'd ask just in case someone has had any luck.

ok, going to ask a few retarded questions.

my cressida has had done to it

sectioned front struts with shorter inserts and cut springs, clearly all captive

shorter rear shocks with cut springs and bump stops

adjustable pan hard rod

shortened front section of a two piece drive shaft due to slam making it to long and touching gear box.

what problems would you for see with this stuff. I know i will need to make a hoop for the front section, will i need todo another one for the facory rear section? motor and trans are factory?

cheers?? also have mild concerns about diff pinion angle?? is this a valid thing to worry about?

the way i interpret the hobby car manual, you shouldnt need a loop at all. that may differ depending on your certifier.

make sure your springs, if they are cut, match the spring seat shape

wheel alignment

if you think the pinion angle is excessive, then that may be an issue

how did you section the struts?

• 2 weeks later...