For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

i havent done a convertible yet, its not very common these days

but i think if you replicate what the factory does or something like that, would be a good plan.

if it was me id make some chassis rails that tie those front and rear chassis sections together, and run some reinforcement down the insides of the sills.

i made some chassis connectors for my sedan when i put the v8 in it,, it made a big difference, the doors open and shut with it jacked up on a corner now

21311155.jpg

I was thinking of some of the subframe connectors that can be found halfway down this page http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=117240&page=2

(For some unknown reason, the forum is being gay and it wont let me post the images here directly?)

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you may not have to do anything with the sills.

you could fit the connectors, check how much twist is in a stock 2 door with a roof, then check how much you get with the convertible. if the convertible has less movement than the original car, job done.

different certifiers would probably have different opinions on what needs to be done as well, might pay to talk to your local guy and see what he says

Dear Mr Clint,

I am interested in the likes of a chev silverado or similar. Having looked at everyhting around that interests me i am not happy. Mainly due to purchase prices involved for what has been converted. I would really prefer a right hand drive over left hook.

I am considering either buying something that has been imported already but not legal and trying to do the conversion myself or as much as i can. or importing something if nothing suitable here already.

I have heard rules are/have/had changed recently and its very difficult to get them legal now after a conversion, and something along the lines of if its already in NZ but not converted now it cant be done and made legal?

Is this true? or who would you advise to ring and discuss this with if you arent able to help?

Any help be greatly appreciated,

Shane

What year truck are you looking at?

it is still possible to cert a RHD conversion, it is more difficult than it used to be mostly due to advances in safety, ie air bags all have to swap over and work, this includes things like weight sensors in the seats, etc etc. it is a very big job. older pre airbag trucks arent as bad but it is still a major job getting it right.

We dont do a lot of RHD conversion certs any more, due to that SIV rule where new mustangs/camaros etc dont have to be converted, most of the vehicles getting done that im aware of are the larger pickups, most of which are over 3500kg so they get certed under the heavy vehicle certification system not LVV.

if i was looking at buying one personally, id be looking at an older left hook one. there are many pretty average conversions around which are never as nice as a factory one, things like the dash never really fits perfectly, heaters are often bodged together, squeaks and rattles when driving etc....

Not sure if you saw previous page but are cam belt covers a must?

theres nothing in the book that specifically says cam belt covers must be fitted

it does mention in the external projections standard that any exposed drive pulleys must have an effective cover or guard, but that refers to pulleys outside the vehicle ie a blower belt drive

the usual belltech/chassis tech bolt in notches are no good IMO, i have seen the chassis crack on a couple of them not even used for towing. for cert i usually get them to weld it in properly, and cap the inside of the rail as well. shocks need relocating too cause they end up on spastic angles and dont do very much, and drive like shit.

the last one i certed was a SWB 454SS, it drove sweet after fixing all the cockups, i was a bit tempted myself to buy it. went good too.

one of these

32214050739_large.jpg

as for a way round having to convert one younger than 20years- there isnt one as far as i know. thats why they are cheap when they need converting, because its so expensive to get done properly.

as for driving with the handlebars on the wrong side, the only time its a bit tricky is passing, turning left onto a busy road( not bad in a truck as you can look out the back window) and drive-thrus

• Like 1

There was a rule if you went to USA for 3 months and owned a car while you were there you could bring it to NZ and not convert it. Then once it was in your ownership for 5 years in NZ you could sell it and not convert it.

I'm not sure if this law still applies since the special interest vehicle thing came in.

Those front struts would be no good unfortunately. At the moment, no aftermarket strut that has a welded join between the cast spindle and the strut tube can be certed.

LVVTA is working on this, not sure where they are at, but welded BC struts may be legal in the near future, i think they were waiting on some details to do with the welding process.

as far as the rear goes, there is some strengthening needs to be done on a starlet if going to a coilover in the rear where the shock was mounted, the shock mount isnt strong enough to take the weight of the car as well.

Speaking of C notching, is this what you mean by doing it properly? But fully welding it of corse. And is it certifiable? As i may have to do this when i put my new leaf springs in my wagon, but would like to have it road legal one day.

sany04071_zpscfd074b9.jpeg

a 'c' notch can be certed, maximum size depends on the car and application.

all the wire wheels ive seen have had no brand name or markings on them, all wheels should be from a reputable manufacturer or have a safety standard marking, like JWL, DOT etc for cert purposes.

wire wheels need cert because of the adaptor required to fit them

What are the rules about seat belts? just bought a new wagon with three point retractables in the front and a lap in the centre front which is all good but the back seat only has a lap belt in the centre (which someone has put in at some stage i think) and no belts in the dicky seat, its a '79 chev caprice but was first registered here in '80, will it pass a wof like this?