KPies 1974 Holden Belmont Discussion

image.jpeg.820656255b34b1172c41892422a48b46.jpeg

Tell me about

- how you/brother/dad/uncle/cousin/mate used to have one

- why my mrs is now tougher and cooler than me

- why big Australian cars with a mix of metric and imperial fasteners are better than silly little European ones that only use metric ( i had to dig out my very limited and mismatched Imperial sockets and wrenches that had been banished to the back of  bottom draw of the tool box and put them right in the top bit :( )

- where to get new parts easily/cheaply/locally

- why the second hand stuff on FBMP is outrageously priced and clearly owned by meth head bogans and how to avoid them 

- tips and tricks for hotting up your  173 using OEM + parts (commie inlet and exhaust manifolds? - the single stromberg and right angled log exhaust manifold offends me!))

- can you bolt a 202 to the Torana 4 speed?

- where to find a nice 202.

- why do i even want a 202 (re-rego mainly), the 173 is probably perfectly fine, KPie doesnt really care (unless its a v8), and it wont be the engine from the Torana any more, 

- where the fuck is the fill port for the CNG system on this car? (its not behind the number plate with the petrol filler) 

• Like 2

Tell me about

Never had an HQ but did have an HJ(?) Wagoon

Always was

- why big Australian cars with a mix of metric and imperial fasteners are better than silly little European ones that only use metric ( i had to dig out my very limited and mismatched Imperial sockets and wrenches that had been banished to the back of  bottom draw of the tool box and put them right in the top bit :( )

Hey, at least they don't have BSW

Um, BNT?

- why the second hand stuff on FBMP is outrageously priced and clearly owned by meth head bogans and how to avoid them 

Maybe try Invercargill area?

- tips and tricks for hotting up your  173 using OEM + parts (commie inlet and exhaust manifolds? - the single stromberg and right angled log exhaust manifold offends me!))

I've got a couple of twin carb setups but never fitted them

Should be fine, I think the red motors are all the same

In a rusty Landrover or CF Bedford

- why do i even want a 202 (re-rego mainly), the 173 is probably perfectly fine, KPie doesnt really care (unless its a v8), and it wont be the engine from the Torana any more, 

You don't

- where the fuck is the fill port for the CNG system on this car? (its not behind the number plate with the petrol filler) 

I dunno, but I made a brazier out of a CNG tank many years ago and it hasn't rusted away yet. Those things are stout.

• Like 6

Sweet.

I had an HQ ute, 202 traumatic, bull bars. Miss it...

Mate had a beige Belmont, think it was 173? Super budget, Kingswood was the flash model, the Belmont didn't have interior arm rests and the ciggy lighter was a circle of match lighting paper glued to the dash...  :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nzstato said:

Very cool Kyle

I'll introduce you to Dave whos 5min away from you (he picked up my panel beating gear)

He can 100% solve your CNG and 2nd hand part problems.....

cheers, i been watching this meathead bogan slap together an HQ and record it on a potato, has some good tips and stuff, but i think hes secretly a bit a bit of a nerd, i reckon you might like him:

• Like 1

Coz I know what I got...

Electronic Bosch Dizzy

Yes

You dont, 202-tax

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, azzurro said:

cheers, i been watching this meathead bogan slap together an HQ and record it on a potato, has some good tips and stuff, but a bit of a nerd i reckon you might like him:

That guy is a f*kn tool

• Haha 1

The old man had a Gold HQ Kingswood wagon back in approx 1978. I had White with a gold roof Belmont 202 ex Taxi probably about 1981 . 

I still like the body style. The unashamedly plastic dash was probably a bit much plastic but I could live with it.

The 202 engine wasn't that bad really. They were the same design as the other red motors. I think there was a problem with the top compression ring being too close to the top of the piston which caused problems when the milage got up (though I may be wrong as it was a while ago). I had to have some engine work done on mine but being a x taxi it was fairly high milage. 

Cool Car and you don't see many anymore and looks cool with the old school mags. Your wife looks very happy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Hope those are Ward alloys from Palmy North on there.

Well they are alloys, and the car came from near to Palmerston North, but i think they are Cheviots based on the centre caps, and that they dont look very much like the Wards i have on my 125.

When i make a start on the brakes ill let you know but i do have some Ward centre caps (with the PALMERSTON NORTH text on them) i could use

• Like 1

The most important first upgrade for one of these is a couple of lumps of 4x2 under the end of the bench seat on the drivers side to off set the years of sag.

Also…

ROAD PACER!

Just saying. This would solve all of your 202 problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tiger Tamer said:

The 202 engine wasn't that bad really. They were the same design as the other red motors. I think there was a problem with the top compression ring being too close to the top of the piston which caused problems when the milage got up (though I may be wrong as it was a while ago). I had to have some engine work done on mine but being a x taxi it was fairly high milage. 

The 202 were notorious for having number 5 piston shit the bed. Back when i was a kid, (and these cars weres all that old) nearly everyone we knew that owned one had that go wrong with them.

• Like 2

In high school my best mate had an hq surf wag. 202 trimatic on lpg. It was good and cool.

It wasnt as good or as cool as my other mates xw wagon. 4.1, 3 on the tree on cng (all of the cng).

• Like 1

I've never had a holden but always liked these. 

But my brother had a cool landie with a 202, which I drove from chch to blenheim. Will never repeat. 202 sounded nice though and went hard fwiw. 

Until one of the pistons fell in half. 

• Like 1

what im picking up is that the Holden 6 engine is the B&S of the car world.

everybody has or has had one (meaning the n opinions is equal to n bellybuttons) , and they basic and reliable in the face of both benign and active neglect, but also imminently tuneable by the most barry of barries, given enough time and money, but also subject to the same 'but why would you when there are other alternatives?"

• Like 1

how you/brother/dad/uncle/cousin/mate used to have one

Had had a nice hq wagon then wrote it off on the motorway 

Your both a catch xo

- why big Australian cars with a mix of metric and imperial fasteners are better than silly little European ones that only use metric ( i had to dig out my very limited and mismatched Imperial sockets and wrenches that had been banished to the back of bottom draw of the tool box and put them right in the top bit :( )

Adjustable spanner doesn't care about metric or imperial 

Ebay has been pretty good for stuff if you are patient 

- tips and tricks for hotting up your 173 using OEM + parts (commie inlet and exhaust manifolds? - the single stromberg and right angled log exhaust manifold offends me!))

Nah m8 get a set of flows and str8frew exhaust and it'll go like a cut cat that's had three of its legs cut off 

Probably 

They are all bags of hammers