McKenzie Moped Melee - March 2024

RUNAMUCK

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, johnnyfive said:

A long way out, and I don't want to clog up the thread this early with theoretical maybes. But how many North Island bikes would head down if there was a bulk freight option from somewhere in the NI to a spot close to the start point?

The guys that got bikes moved down on a few pallets, how did this go? And how much?

I'm gonna try do a few sums, my hunch is that it probably wouldn't make sense unless there were a lot of bikes. 

If you do decide to ship bikes we can load many only my high side car transporter to get them to the start if riding both ways from chch is to much self punishment

That is offered to the red flaggots too @Tumeke @sentra

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, tortron said:

Days off are slim, riding down and back adds like 6 days realistically on a in the spirit bike. 

Not sure if an extra 2 or so days can be swung tbh

I might have to fly/sit on the couch with a cup of tea tbh

Worth noting his will probably be a four day ride now too.  (I've been too useless to update the thread yet) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So keen for this, looks like a great route, thanks @Mof for figuring it out.

Logistics to get down there will be interesting. Quite a drive for those from up North, freighting bikes may be worth it to save time & possibly $$$. Driving is doable for Manawatu/Wellington crew but will have to carefully plan it.

I'd better start now on building a unsuitable yet reliable bike!!!

• Like 1

On 18/04/2023 at 20:44, Snoozin said:

So I've got a twinshock PE175, and this could be the kick up the arse I need to hook into it and get it running and on the road. Is a 21-inch front wheel in the spirit, lol?

On 18/04/2023 at 21:49, Willdat? said:

I think provided you didn't roost everyone and disappear in a cloud of dust everytime we stop you'd be fine. In 2021 I'd broken my back 4 months earlier so did it on a WR250R, I think Kyle might have been on a CB400 that year too. Attitude is probably the most important thing!

I'm really considering whether my (kind of similar to a PE175) early 80's twin shock XL185 'Super Farmer' is right for this ride. It was super fun (while it lasted) this year, but probably at the upper end of acceptable capability to be considered a 'small bike'. That being said if your PE175 is the smallest and least capable bike you have I'd rather you came along on it than stayed home. The CB400 I had on the first year was the only bike I had at that point, so if I didn't take that I wouldn't have participated. It was also not an off road bike and I have never really ridden off road before, so it wasn't like I was burning off into the distance, and sticking with the gc crew is 100% part of this event.

On 19/04/2023 at 12:08, slacker.cam said:

It's a bit of a catch 22 regarding big bikes IMO. If everyone shows up on big bikes aside from a small handful then yeah, likely that's going to effect the spirit of the event. But, if it's a couple of lads who are on larger bikes because they wouldn't be there otherwise then I say 100% just come. The more guys there to have fun the better.

This.

@tortron DRZ400 is a whole different league though. For anyone thinking of riding something like that I'd suggest instead finding something around the 125cc mark (not a twist and go - lol) in preparation for this epic event. DRZ would be perfect for the Dusty Butt a couple of weeks earlier though... 

On 21/04/2023 at 16:06, tortron said:

Days off are slim, riding down and back adds like 6 days realistically on a in the spirit bike. 

Not sure if an extra 2 or so days can be swung tbh

I might have to fly/sit on the couch with a cup of tea tbh

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/scooters/listing/4099236400?utm_source=tmm-savedsearch&utm_medium=email&bof=BEieZ2nV

On 16/04/2023 at 10:14, Thphantum said:

Registering interest as a backup support vehicle. Is this route achievable in a standard Hilux or would something more capable be required? 

received_261929012838786.jpeg

Now that this is a four day odyssey, theres a bit less worry about the support crew being left three hours behind the pack. 

If you're game for some possibly gnarly terrain (some, but not all of it is obviously) I'd be honoured if you came along. Having enjoyed your company (and outstanding hospitality!) On three separate occasions, I'd love to share this adventure with you if the stars align. Obviously we dont want it to turn into a 4wd trip that follows a small bike trip. But imho, you're a bit different to the average run of the mill hanger on. (Given your significant and selfless contribution to a number of the north islands premier small bike adventures.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Also day 4, should def change the start of that from ranfurly to Kurow. Pansy’s pass from naesby to Kurow would be better than the current route. F people wanted to be hectic (would be a fun challenge) could always try some Over Mt buster / awakino saddle. It’s hard enough on a dirt bike and support vehicles can come but would be a notable achievement that’s for sure.

I’m also keen on this, recently moved to chch so I have accomodation and can store bikes for you boys if you end up shipping them down from up north. 

im currently thinking I’ll hook the trailer up and tow bikes to Fairlie? Pretty boring ride from chch really 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...