Roman's 4GR V6 Carina discussion thread

Roman

Out of interest what is the sw20 rad WxL? I will likely V mount IC and rad in z31 whenever i get to spend more time on it (heeding the advice above of just get it running again of course)

• Like 1

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

na  stuff doesnt need that much cooling,  especially since your engine is a giant aluminum thing to start with.    Also half the time peoples cooling problems, is all the stuff jammed up behind the radiator. if air cant get out, its not going to go through 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GARDRB said:

MR2 

Overall size: 770mm x 308mm x 42mm

I found an SW20 one that is a little different on dimensions:

Core Size: 675mm *320mm *40mm

Overall Size: 755mm *345mm *50mm

Row: 2 Core

If it turns up and is 770mm then I'm in trouble haha.

I can fully get amongst this new direction/distraction. I went around in a similar circle trying to find one the right size. BRZ/86 is another option that's close in dimensions. 

I've got a Fenix core left over if you need to make one? 600mm wide and maybe 750-800 high. almost perfect size. 

Your configuration inlet/outlet ports could probably work well for dual pass as well? 

So excited about intake over the radiator. It's the way of the future. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A totally random Q,

Would a 2J fit in a Carina/Corona of this generation without too much fettling? 
I can’t find any info on the inter webs. I see a Carina rolling body for sale, Altezza Gita/Lexus G300/Aristos have 2Js, and it’s got Me daydreaming. 

• Haha 1

If you're looking at getting that wagon, probably want to do a rack and pinion conversion as the steering box stuff takes up heaps of space where you'd want to run the exhaust.
Also most likely has leaf spring in rear of that wagon which is a bit gross compared to 4 link. 

Also, at the best of times with some $$$ spent these cars handle... not amazing compared to modern stuff.
But with standard suspension etc they just wallow all over the road haha.
Costs a fair bit of $$$ to get them handling and braking a bit better.
With lots of weight in front and not much power would be kind of like wielding a marshmallow sledgehammer. 

• Like 4

On 22/03/2024 at 11:34, 87creepin said:

A totally random Q,

Would a 2J fit in a Carina/Corona of this generation without too much fettling? 
I can’t find any info on the inter webs. I see a Carina rolling body for sale, Altezza Gita/Lexus G300/Aristos have 2Js, and it’s got Me daydreaming. 

I'd be very careful if looking at that Carina, someone that openly talks about doing plates and tags on a car on TradeMe might not be the best person to deal with and as @Dudley pointed out there was a stolen warning on it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Evo X or Lancer Ralliart (4B11T) factory injectors 550cc 

Mitsubishi Lancer non turbo 07-17 to  are 232cc at 47psi fuel pressure in the 4b11 motor 

4b12 might have slightly larger injectors but I can't find CC rating 

Toyota 2ARFE injectors I've read arr 370cc 1ARFE Injectors may also be of use

Do you not have 2GR injectors? Though they are meant to be something like 287.7cc

Might help

https://www.mr2oc.com/threads/fuel-injector-for-2gr-fe-finally-solved-500hp.423814/

Should give you a few junkyard options I'd say 2ARFE might be the go

Edit @Roman

1GRFE injectors are 370cc

2TRFE (Hiace/Hilux 2.7) are 315cc

Are you going with the general rule of thumb on a 6cylinder that it's roughly 1hp per injector cc on pump fuel at the crank? 

• Thanks 1

At the moment I was just working on the basis that the V10 has 10 cylinders and makes 500hp, so 6 cyl worth of injectors should be 300hp capable no problem. 

However has rpm goes up, you need a slightly bigger injector to make the same amount of HP. As your deadtime gobbles up an increasing amount of your available time to spray.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mjrstar said:

i bet there are piles of falcon injectors from turbo barras that have been upgraded, even the non-turbo ones might be around 300cc?  but DYOR

They aren't long pintle, also they are the same injector as the non turbo just with higher fuel pressure 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roman said:

At the moment I was just working on the basis that the V10 has 10 cylinders and makes 500hp, so 6 cyl worth of injectors should be 300hp capable no problem. 

However has rpm goes up, you need a slightly bigger injector to make the same amount of HP. As your deadtime gobbles up an increasing amount of your available time to spray.

550cc would give you headroom for e85 or are you just looking at running pump gas?