Welder buying spam

kws

I'm no expert but this is where I'd start off, set the pulse at 60-70 percent and 1 second, add filler every second pulse.  Keep an eye on the pool if it's cooling off too much increase the percentage. 

I don't have a pedal, once you get comfortable with an adjustable hand piece it's probably more convenient (can weld in more positions without relying on a pedal) try a few different hand positions maybe try pointing your index finger, and try not to grip the torch too firmly. 

• Like 2

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, mjrstar said:

I'm no expert but this is where I'd start off, set the pulse at 60-70 percent and 1 second, add filler every second pulse.  Keep an eye on the pool if it's cooling off too much increase the percentage. 

I don't have a pedal, once you get comfortable with an adjustable hand piece it's probably more convenient (can weld in more positions without relying on a pedal) try a few different hand positions maybe try pointing your index finger, and try not to grip the torch too firmly. 

Cheers man!

Gave pulse a go, gives a nice metronome to run with once all the settings were figured out.

The dial is a bit hard for me, still trying to figure out the best way to hold the torch that gives control and easy adjustment, so far I get one or the other  and with no clicks the feedback is limited to the sound/shape of the arc that I am yet to tune into.
Will persevere, Argon is cheap and grinding discs are on special.

• Like 2

Man, I have no idea how people use those adjustable hand pieces.

I always advised that people try 4t (4 touch, the name makes no sense to me) when learning. This means one button press to start the arc, one button press to extinguish the arc. 

I found that for me personally it made keeping the correct angle  (EG when welding around a pipe) and staying smooth and consistent a whole lot easier. using the dial to control amps takes things too far in the other more difficult direction (just my opinion)

Your arms mechanics are not conducive to holding that button down and having smooth wrist control. This is made worse as many newcomers hold down the button too firmly (or the button on cheap handsets is that shit rubber dome that you have to press quite firmly)

You can try it yourself with a pen or dildo/whatever (Seriously though, try it), hold a pen and move your wrist and pen around in varying arcs. Then hold the pen but this time push a finger into the side of the pen as if you were holding down the tig button. Often you'll find that the second time will be a whole lot less fluid and often will be a little jerky or shaky in your movement. I can do it right now and my wrist kinda shudders through some angles if im also pressing the button (Though it has recently been broken lol). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyingbrick said:

Man, I have no idea how people use those adjustable hand pieces.

I always advised that people try 4t (4 touch, the name makes no sense to me) when learning. This means one button press to start the arc, one button press to extinguish the arc. 

I found that for me personally it made keeping the correct angle  (EG when welding around a pipe) and staying smooth and consistent a whole lot easier. using the dial to control amps takes things too far in the other more difficult direction (just my opinion)

Your arms mechanics are not conducive to holding that button down and having smooth wrist control. This is made worse as many newcomers hold down the button too firmly (or the button on cheap handsets is that shit rubber dome that you have to press quite firmly)

You can try it yourself with a pen or dildo/whatever (Seriously though, try it), hold a pen and move your wrist and pen around in varying arcs. Then hold the pen but this time push a finger into the side of the pen as if you were holding down the tig button. Often you'll find that the second time will be a whole lot less fluid and often will be a little jerky or shaky in your movement. I can do it right now and my wrist kinda shudders through some angles if im also pressing the button (Though it has recently been broken lol). 

I must try this!!