Welder buying spam

kws

I have a strata 215c and a XA 250, both migs. 
the XA was almost 1k cheaper and welds so much nicer.

a box smootharc 185 was around $1600 the last time I shopped for a mig.

just bought a XA plasma, really happy with the quality of this brand so far.

support is great too.

ive had to a couple of returns on my spool gun (Ali) where the driver quit, a screw backed out internally the first time, think they said the trigger failed the second time. Has been good since.

i found the price of welders dropped by 50% over the last 5 years but may have gone up due to shipping increases

• Like 1

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, cubastreet said:

Always been happy with my XA welders. You can borrow for a hoon if you like. Probably over ten years old now, but similar to this one maybe. 

https://tradezone.co.nz/welding/razorweld-mig200-mig-mma-inverter-welder-package-200a-230v-single-phase-c-w-3mtr-mig-torch-arc-set-4m-regulator

Ta. Looks like they are sold from that tool shop just past ITM in Masterton. 

Keep an eye on SCA for XA welders, they clearanced out all Cig stock a few months ago and I've just seen my local has stocked up with Xcel-Arc accessories, asked and they said they'll have welders etc soon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got into my local welding supply shop today and was about to pull the trigger on an Xcel-Arc but thought I'd ask the brains trust first. My current mig is a transformer one. The two I have narrowed it down to are a 200amp transformer one for $2300 and an 180amp inverter  variant for about $1200. 

The last inverter mig I had shat the bed just after warranty ran out and it was unrepairable. Hence going back to a 30yo transformer mig which has served me well but is getting a little long in the tooth now. 

Anybody got any opinions on either? I don't need to transport it so I don't care about weight. Just reliability and doing a good job. 

Might have just been bad luck? My inverter welder must be ~10 years old now, doesn't get thrashed but has always done a good job for me on MIG stuff.

Aren't both those inverter? Might have wrong link posted. 

• Like 1

Not sure if it's in my head, but I seem to get cleaner welds and less spatter from inverter mig.

They even weld nice and clean on pure co2, I'm currently using argoshield but it doesn't seem any better whereas transformer migs seem to weld cleaner with argon in the mix. 

You don't have the huge inrush current needed to saturate the transformer core with electromagnetics either so they're easier to run off generator or inverter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Bling said:

Might have just been bad luck? My inverter welder must be ~10 years old now, doesn't get thrashed but has always done a good job for me on MIG stuff.

Aren't both those inverter? Might have wrong link posted. 

That has to be a typo on the heading surely. A 60kg inverter welder? Is that a thing?

Old mate in the shop said it was a transformer and it looks like one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up getting the floor model which has been superseded for a hefty discount. I gave it a quick whirl and the welds come out very smooth indeed. I have a bit of panel work to do on some thin stuff so I'll see how it likes that. Thanks for the hot tip, gents. 

Welder.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, dmulally said:

Ended up getting the floor model which has been superseded for a hefty discount. I gave it a quick whirl and the welds come out very smooth indeed. I have a bit of panel work to do on some thin stuff so I'll see how it likes that. Thanks for the hot tip, gents. 

Welder.jpg

Oooh, I have the same Cebora,  any chance the front panel writing is still visible, wouldn't be able to put up a picture if it is? Mine is all worn off.

Good enough machine but now just a heavy trolley for the tig

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Oooh, I have the same Cebora,  any chance the front panel writing is still visible, wouldn't be able to put up a picture if it is? Mine is all worn off.

Good enough machine but now just a heavy trolley for the tig

I'm using mine as a trolley too. Does this work for you?

Cerb1.jpg

Cerb2.jpg

55 minutes ago, dmulally said:

I'm using mine as a trolley too. Does this work for you?

Cerb1.jpg

Cerb2.jpg

Hell yes!

Yours has the spot timers which mine doesn't but the article number has now given the right search term to finally get a wiring diagram, epic!

Thanks heaps!

• Like 2

On 03/09/2023 at 17:10, Nominal said:

0.9 is a weird size too, mainly gasless wire?

0.9mm is quite a common compromise wire size. Do alot of solid core mig at work and its my go to for a little bit of everything. Would have gone through over half a ton of it over the last 3 years.

I do find its quite lacking at anything big but if I do have 10 and 12mm work to do ill chuck a roll of 1.2mm on for the occasion. 0.9mm can do comfortably about 2mm to 8mm with correct prep all day.

• Like 3

When I was at tech, some rep brought in a roll of Flux core wire that also used shielding gas. It's party trick was the beautiful welds in all positions even with me holding the torch. 

Anyone know this voodoo wire?