Avenga

Avenga's 1UZ V8 powered 1980 Avenger Wagon

On 02/12/2018 at 11:16, johnny.race said:

Hey bro, I am rapt you have been giving your car big arse trips and laps and having little to no problems. I'll echo what the others have said - you've carried out a quality build for sure. I missed reading the above threads about some of the details concerning the cert. He (your certifier) did get intouch with me to check out/verify what I had put in the Differential Work Declaration. He wanted to be confident that I had some idea of what I was talking about. Fuck, he left disappointed :( Nooooo!! Hehe!! He was sweet as after we discussed a few things, but mostly after I told him I have done a heap of them and have built diffs (and do diff work) for one of the local certifyers down here - that he knows. Maybe he rang him up? I dunno. So yeah.   

Thanks for all your help with the certing process! I have been having a blast driving it since then!

@Ashkellybarr @sluggy Thanks guys. I spent freaking ages doing that engine bay and I am always stoked when everyone comments on how clean it looks. It was my first engine loom so it was a bit daunting but because I have had years of building gaming PC's and hiding all the wires on them then I treated this the same way. And I love the way the air intake turned out, that has to be the number 1 talking point every time someone sees the engine, I have never seen it done like that before, and it took me a lot of head scratching before I figured out how I could make it all work. I'm glad I did though because those trumpets look damn cool.

• Like 5

Congratulations on the prizes at 4 & Bongo Nats! Well deserved too. (Rotary power Avenger next?...:ph34r:)

Also those wheels look the mutts nuts mate. Really really suit it and finish it off.

• Like 1

Thanks!! Over the moon with the awards!! And super pleased with the wheels, so worth the wait.

I am thinking of repowering the other green Avenger, and it's either between a rotary or a V6, maybe a V6 turbo.

• Like 4

Thats fair moving Richard, glad you're getting some decent use out of it over summer!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kiwi808 said:

My heart says rotary but the brain says V6 twin turbo.

1 hour ago, Ashkellybarr said:

V6 with twin t28’s :salute:

Yeah, I was thinking V6 twin turbo would be pretty awesome, especially next to the V8. I don’t know much about what V6’s are good for engine swaps so I’ll need to start researching it like I did with the 1UZ

39 minutes ago, CUL8R said:

Thats fair moving Richard, glad you're getting some decent use out of it over summer!

Thanks! I was really impressed with my drag times, it’s a really fun car to drive! Been doing a ton of driving over summer, just going on little road trips down to beaches or bush walks, such a nice car to drive.  Been to tons of shows in it also  

Those wheels really set it off also! So glad I waited for them! Totally worth the wait!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Avenga said:

Yeah, I was thinking V6 twin turbo would be pretty awesome, especially next to the V8. I don’t know much about what V6’s are good for engine swaps so I’ll need to start researching it like I did with the 1UZ

vw vr6 turbo

Theres ford Duratech v6 guys put in all sorts, so might find bellhousing and other conv parts pretty easy. Can’t imagine they would be a super common swap in NZ so might get reasonable pricing on them

19 hours ago, Ashkellybarr said:

Theres ford Duratech v6 guys put in all sorts, so might find bellhousing and other conv parts pretty easy. Can’t imagine they would be a super common swap in NZ so might get reasonable pricing on them

Same as Jag V6 from S-type, should be easy to find engine and auto at dismantlers, or whole parts car cheap.

Nissan V6 also good choice from 350Z or Skyline? Should be plenty of those at the wreckers. 

Buick V6 m8

I happen to have a tune here for a twin turbo running on meth

• Like 2

On 01/02/2019 at 13:20, locost_bryan said:

Same as Jag V6 from S-type, should be easy to find engine and auto at dismantlers, or whole parts car cheap.

Nissan V6 also good choice from 350Z or Skyline? Should be plenty of those at the wreckers. 

Yeah after posting this I found a guy put a jag one into an mx5 in the uk and a company that’s sells conversion parts for it. Inc carbon intakes

youtube “car throttle mx5” and it’ll turn up

and yeah imagine 2.5L Nissan motors are pretty reasonable price to

The rocketeer swap jag /mondeo/ mazda v6. - very nice swap kit very expensive but sounds like they are selling individual parts now 

Nissan v6 looks easier as the inlet is already super low 

On 31/01/2019 at 20:31, Avenga said:

What do you guys think of a Nissan VQ35DE or VQ30DET?

They’re good motors. 

Also worth looking at the Toyota GR series (2GRFE).

Thanks, I hadn’t thought of the GR series. 

Question, are the VQ35 in the Skyline the same as the VQ35 in the 350Z? Or are they different specs?