Official Mitsi weirdo buys another weird Mitsubishi

fuel

years ago I had a later model black 2nd gen 30M diamante, it wasn't a bad old barge went semi hard (for what it was), perhaps a bit ahead of it's time being mid 90's with a 5 speed tiptronic  trans. (i think my 2004 wagon still has a pretty similar trans too)

Interior of your machine looks pretty similar to how I remember mine.

• Like 1

Apparently it was over $90k when new (which I find hard to believe myself!) The previous owner's brother bought a GTO brand new but found it impractical so traded it in some months later on this.

The 2.6L Magna is so weaksauce compared to the Diamante - 120hp vs 220hp, beam axle rear suspension vs multilink (for JDM FWD) or double wishbone for AWD, shit Aus built low quality interior etc. The 1st gen Magna I had in Aus was noticeably not as well built as the JDM or even Todd built Galant/Sigma equivalents I had in NZ.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Saw this on Trademe too, as a typical Mitsubishi foamer I, had too take a noesy at the listing. I have always liked the shape of the early 90s Diamante's. There ain't no 30R-S examples like this around now.

Glad that it has gone too a good home.

Ok now this is where things get a bit more serious.

Myself and Damien just collectively bought this, a flood damaged 1992 GTO twin turbo - he wants the engine and I want the rest of the driveline. It has all I need to convert to 5 speed manual (would have preferred 6 speed but they are harder to come by, especially for this price), large 4 pot brakes up front, bigger vented brakes in the rear, larger turbo diff and axles and the 17" OEM wheels which I like the look of. It looks to be lowered too so those struts could be swapped over.

760561197.jpg

760561287.jpg

Now I just need to book a trip back to NZ some time soon.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 9 months later...
So I finally came back to NZ in December and gave the car a bit of a clean up, found some original 15" wheels (that I probably wont end up using now), and then put it on gen 1 GTO 16" wheels:

btxgmce5.4hs.jpeg

1agez2yv.v4w.jpeg

oulhnx5i.zj0.jpeg

wd2b35rs.j0c.jpeg

4lhsvehf.oo3.jpeg

lltetznd.gjg.jpeg

wyafpg4d.r1j.jpeg

0s02esp0.tvl.jpeg

Took the 17" wheels off the parts GTO including Enkei alloy spare and extra 17" as spare

sxcwzhqb.3y2.jpeg

oko5ihk3.yet.jpeg

Obtained some gen 2 GTO brakes along with the gen 1 GTO front brakes from parts car (rear gen 1 brakes are same as stock Diamante). Also large plenum 380 manifold obtained to modify.

1wvg0jnm.k03.jpeg
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...