Discuss here about Yoeddynz's little Imp project...

yoeddynz

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'd honestly be happy if its still got 100bhp at the crank. Its that 110lbft of torques I'm interested in and really the whole thing is more about the sounds and look of the setup. 5 speed box and higher diff will be an added bonus so long as it doesn't spit the dummy being used in reverse.

Putting the box back together is the next job after this cooling check and tune.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, yoeddynz said:

Yeah I'd honestly be happy if its still got 100bhp at the crank. Its that 110lbft of torques I'm interested in and really the whole thing is more about the sounds and look of the setup. 5 speed box and higher diff will be an added bonus so long as it doesn't spit the dummy being used in reverse.

Putting the box back together is the next job after this cooling check and tune.

It's just swap the (sorry if wrong terminology) ring gear on the diff so it runs in reverse yeah?  Or the carrier?

Any gearbox tweaks for dual spinning or anything like that? 

10 hours ago, shrike said:

It's just swap the (sorry if wrong terminology) ring gear on the diff so it runs in reverse yeah?  Or the carrier?

this hurts my head, but just FYI incase its relevant in the slightest- there is a company in australia called subie gears that supplies parts to reverse rotation of WRX gearboxes. One of the parts they supply is a backwards ring gear (I think).

If its ever an issue, they may be able to help.

11 hours ago, shrike said:

It's all in the build thread in great detail. Too much to type here. :tongue:

• Like 1

Quite a milestone you must be chuffed , and it sounds so crisp!

I had heard that noise before but couldn't put my finger on it, and then I figured out last night ... It reminds me of a beetle owned by a member of the Pukekohe car club that had fitted a hotted up corvair motor..

• Like 4

Interested in your gearbox combination. i ran a Fiat 750/1000 gearbox in my 500 which had a 1000cc BMW flat twin. I destroyed 3 fiat 500 gearboxes with my half a VW long block. The hope would have been a BMW 700 coupe gearbox as even with the VW top end to make it a fake 595 the Fiat 500/126 gearbox was as strong as chocolate. You were right to go for a flat 6, the fake Puch 695 that I built handled better than a Fiat as the weight is at axle height.  I found the VW 1200 gearbox to big and geared to high, I nosed around a Alfasud, Jowett and did not try a Subaru or Imp as there were none at my local wreckers at the time. It looks like the right option with a Subaru gearbox, I like that you are not averse to trying different paths as it sounds cool. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah I think the subie box will be OK. Certainly much better gearing overall which will help rein in what I know will be a much thirstier engine than the datto A12. Not that I clock up huge mileage on any of our cars anyway. 

Hopefully the subie gearshift will be nice because the imp box, tired 1st synchro aside, has a fantastic gearshift! 

• Like 1