Adoom's 1972 Triumph 2000

Adoom

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, igor said:

Are the water bridge gaskets just normal paper ones? If so weetbix box to the rescue.

It's a 3 wafer metal gasket with a thin 'rubber' seal on the top and bottom of the inside edge. The seal part has pulled off and the metal is a bit crusty.

If I cannot get new ones, I will try clean them up and put a little gasket goo on them.

IMAG0484.thumb.jpg.f1a7abdfa5f93e837f38aa2b5bce6457.jpg

• 2 months later...

It's had a, I assume low speed, front end crash at some point. It looks like the seam between the headlight panel and the valence took the hit, so that has been pushed in about 20mm. This has caused both those panels to have numerous buckles. I have strong suspicions that the leading edge of the panel above the headlight panel has also been pushed down a little.

Other than that, it's freakishly rust free. I just removed both windscreens and there is only small spots of very minor surface rust.

1 minute ago, tortron said:

couple of afternoons with a hammer and dolly i reckon m8

That was the original plan, then today I thought.... why not just cut the straight panels off the other one...

I need to rig up some kind of pulling contraption with a long lever, or threaded rods, to pull that seam forwards.

I think I'll go buy a slide hammer(I don't have anything suitable to make one). I want to try use one of the 15 vise grips I have to hold on to the seam and work out a way to hook the slide hammer to the adjusting bolt on the vise grips.

2 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

I agree with that man ^  Can you not find another car to cut the front off? I have to do the same thing to the Imp shell.. luckily I was able to chop the front off another.

You need to find someone with an excess of trumps.... @Slacker_Sam. .......  or @Sanfiddy ....

@Goat has all the trumps in Wellington I thought.

You could also push that stuff out from the other side. Depending on the panels behind you could make up an engineer's jack, or get a small car jack in there. Make up a wee shaped dolly/spoon/leading edge to go on the panel to be pushed out

• 2 weeks later...

Grinders are fucking dangerous with wire wheels on, gotta be super careful about which way you hit stuff.. I was doing the springs for the 121 with a wire wheel and it grabbed the wheel, pulled it into the spring, bounced around for a couple of seconds then bounced back out tangling itself in my hoodie.. fucken dangerous

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Seedy Al said:

Hey man just letting you know I have some spare log manifolds that would be perfect for cutting up (have already been modded)  if you are interested. 

$100 for the pair.

Other wise

Keep up the good work! 

Got a photo? 

Of the manifolds!

5 minutes ago, Seedy Al said:

apparently I do!

IMG_5442.JPG

There is not much of that I think I could use. I was planning on cutting out a one-piece flange with the plasma cutter and getting some mandrels.

Pass, but thanks anyway.