Worked Blacktop 4age vs 7AGE Blacktop

AALAWS

Hey Guys

I am wanting to get work underway on my engine build  (first timer) and am looking for some advice/experience/direction...

I have a KE25 I am restoring and have a complete 20v Blacktop 4age in the shed.

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/49951-alasdairs-1974-ke25-corolla/

I had a BZ Carib with the BT and really enjoyed driving it and found you get the best out of it in the high revs....

I figured with the much lighter corolla it would be better to sacrifice some of the higher revs with the lower range grunt of the 7AGE (As I don't really intend to fang around ringing it out all the time......maybe once in a while ha ha)

Either way I anticipate I'll be buying SAMQ's RWD water kit, COP's, ECU, new pistons, rods etc

maybe new cams? springs? Hell, I don't even fully grasp what half of all this stuff means, just well read ha ha. I don't want to go OTT, but want to do a really good job......honing? porting? polish? (thanks Gran Turismo)

I'll be getting professional help, while also doing as much as I can with proper guidance.

I know it will come down to "what i prefer" but as a noob, what's the better option?

Rebuilding the BT with some go fast bits........or a 7AGE.......with some go fast bits?? 

It'd probably cost the same to do it either way I imagine?

Yours sincerely,

Noob looking forward to building his first engine.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just get the Blacktop in the hole with stock ecu and get it running.

Won't be ready for an engine for a looooonnnnnnnng time........plus has done 260kms and will need a refresh anyway so may aswell make it better......

I had a ke20 with a bluetop, made the 4age feel extra fast even compared to something light like a AE82. Just chuck in the stock blacktop and work out development and rebuilds later I think. Focus on making the conversion look great, being practical and everything working.

• Like 2

If you want a motor that operates best down low, you don't want a 4AG (or 7AG) get something serious.

My suggestion would be a mildly tweaked 4AG and live in upper regions of your rev counter.

I wasn't particularly fixed on the down low benefits.........what tweaks do you recommend?

some slightly more aggressive cams, exhaust, improved ignition system, the 20V blacktop will be ITBs won't it? So unlikely to need much done there I would have thought. Maybe an ECU on there for frittering with data and you're golden.

• Like 1

Best value for money on this conversion is probably aftermarket ECU,I would forget working the motor for now NA is expensive. Just build a nice big airtbox for the ITB's, exhaust and headers and tune and drive it. It will be a blast like this.

• Like 4

some slightly more aggressive cams, exhaust, improved ignition system, the 20V blacktop will be ITBs won't it? So unlikely to need much done there I would have thought. Maybe an ECU on there for frittering with data and you're golden.

Best value for money on this conversion is probably aftermarket ECU,I would forget working the motor for now NA is expensive. Just build a nice big airtbox for the ITB's, exhaust and headers and tune and drive it. It will be a blast like this.

yeah itb's for sure.........good to know it doesn't need too much.

I'm still considering stripping it down for a clean/refresh the gaskets etc/paint.....balance crank/lighten flywheel etc.......all still good stuff to do?

I'm giving like a low enthusiasm old man responses but as you are doing basically a full resto you have your hands full with the body. Doing all that stuff in your list could buy you a spare blacktop 4age to sit in the corner of the shed. Save all the money and do some basic maintenance on the current motor like seals and cambelt, they will rev to 8k+ all day long with high km's they just use some oil usually. Buy that aftermarket ECU and learn to tune the stock engine when you get that far it will be the best bang for buck for learning and making the conversion easier. Slotting in a built motor down the track is fuck all, getting it going the easiest and economical  way possible should be goal one, get that cert and re-evaluate once you actually drive the thing. I know pondering all this engine shit is the best part of a build but you need to channel this energy into panel work haha

Unless you have like $30k put away for this build then ignore me and go nuts.

• Like 2

I know pondering all this engine shit is the best part of a build but you need to channel this energy into panel work haha

yes I'm a dreamer.......ha ha and there is a lot of panel work.

Everytime i'm down the shed I see the motor and think I should be getting on with that too.

What you say (and a few others) makes sense now, stick one in and build an awesome one in the background later.

• Like 1

ok std black top like they say ,with electric water pump with std ecu from a manual ,plus t 50 box with close ratio set .plus T series from ae86 ,this will make it about 830 kilos ,also bolt in a ae86 xmember and rack and steering column while you are at it 

that should liven it up with its brakes etc  

• Like 1