Random slightly cool stuff you built but not worth its own thread, thread

h4nd

are you ever likely to be interested in machining a body to order? one day, i guess in perhaps a year or so once ive gained at least some proficiency on the bass im learning, im going to design/assemble my own. I was going to draw it on cad either way, but cnc would be lush. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, BlownCorona said:

are you ever likely to be interested in machining a body to order? one day, i guess in perhaps a year or so once ive gained at least some proficiency on the bass im learning, im going to design/assemble my own. I was going to draw it on cad either way, but cnc would be lush. 

Absolutely.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, ThePog said:

That fdm has killer tone I hear....

More side projects, this time a wee waste oil heater;

PXL_20230517_081054271.thumb.jpg.659f9ad6aa696d4fbd9ba28fdb34127e.jpg

First run tonight, started cranking once I put a 2.5m chimney on it.

Edit; it seems that wee feed pipe is limiting the crank though, I'll chuck something bigger in there and see if I can get it glowing.

I always wanted to use one of these to heat a spa pool. Fuck paying for electricity when I could just maintain my vehicle fleet.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, anglia4 said:

I always wanted to use one of these to heat a spa pool. Fuck paying for electricity when I could just maintain my vehicle fleet.

This is 100% bang on the money. It is a real pain in the arse to dispose of used oil now, why not utilise it.

I made some mods to it during my lunch break and just cranked it again, there are a couple of issues but it started to get proper hot this time before I had to turn it off.

The next stage is a heat exchanger for a spa, maybe in a bigger version though.

• Like 5

That looks similar to the one that iirc @avengertiger was going to build - using some big discs off a truck (or drums..i cant remember)  Yeah- damn they can go hard!

What's the smoke output like? Fairly clean once up to speed?  Our current woodfire likes to leave little spots of creosote over the yellow car if its burning sappy pine/wind is blowing the wrong way.

I have learnt some things from this build, mostly that pouring oil in does not increase the burn rate, just the soot. This means I need more air/airflow, therefore a bigger unit and chimney is needed.

Also the feed pipe would be better being decoupled from the body as there is enough heat transfer to make the oil in the pipe start smoking. So probably all that lower shroud stuff can fuck off.

Still it works pretty sweet and gets fucking hot. I dont think it will glow though as the chamber walls are 5mm thick. It holds some heat tho...

• Like 4

Best efficiency for that one was a medium drip.

I should probably measure it, I have run it for about an hour in total and I reckon no more than a liter.

You can have that one if you want to test it out, I'll be going bigger.

• Like 1

Given the air pollution in Oxford City when I lived there, which seemed way worse when I last visited, I'm not surprised. I think you were only allowed to burn smokeless fuel there (not wood). Is that the same in most cities there?