Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Nominal said:

Thanks, talked to Auto Instrument Services who our mechanic suggested. I need to count the speedo cable turns while pushing the car 50 meters, wif is going to love helping with that,

Is that the new plymouth jokers? They are down the street from work. We have had mostly good results from them at work.

Have used Robinson instruments with success also. Seem like knowledgeable barries with poor website skillz

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fletch said:

Is that the new plymouth jokers? They are down the street from work. We have had mostly good results from them at work.

Have used Robinson instruments with success also. Seem like knowledgeable barries with poor website skillz

Yeah, NP I think. I don't really need barry level, just an adjustment on the speedo indication

14 hours ago, Nominal said:

Thanks, talked to Auto Instrument Services who our mechanic suggested. I need to count the speedo cable turns while pushing the car 50 meters, wif is going to love helping with that,

Place in christchurch had a machine that would count the turns while the the vehicle was driven a mile/km.

When rucs come in for all, 

Fitting a KPH faceplate to an MPH speedo (where both options existed for the same dial) would be stealing from the government, and the thought has never once not crossed my mind........

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Place in christchurch had a machine that would count the turns while the the vehicle was driven a mile/km.

Parrotts.  They had an in-ground roller setup which I think was usable powered or car driven. Don't know if they moved it when they shifted premises. As the business changed hands at the time.

7 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Marked  out 50m on the road and counted 44 turns of the cable which works out to 1416  turns per mile, speedo is marked as 1376 tpm so pretty close, it should read about 3% fast, probably due to radial vs crossply.

Actually reads about 45% fast so will send it off for a lookey-loo

1 hour ago, RUNAMUCK said:

I know a guy who worked there in the last 5 years. He reckoned the place was a bit of a shambles.

It always was. They did good work though. Very good on Smiths gauges, esp chronometric tachos and speedos. At some point they carried a form of small gearbox which could be spliced into speedo drive cables to correct any differences. Had one put in the LD converted Bedford which was an annoyance as up till then it had under recorded mileage which was great for RUC. Wif insisted after she got pulled for speeding.

Doesn’t mean the face (with the Tpm marking) left the factory with the same mech it has now…..

Vitesse has a misleading number on the face (which is original) as the workings are from a Dolly 1850 to match the previous gearbox and diff.  As it turns out, the speedo gearing was absolutely identical on the Toyota W58 - which was unusually serendipitous!

The gods clearly remembered though as the MX5 box speedo gearing is VERY different from GT6 (reads 40% low), so I really ought to do something about that….

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VitesseEFI said:

Doesn’t mean the face (with the Tpm marking) left the factory with the same mech it has now…..

Vitesse has a misleading number on the face (which is original) as the workings are from a Dolly 1850 to match the previous gearbox and diff.  As it turns out, the speedo gearing was absolutely identical on the Toyota W58 - which was unusually serendipitous!

The gods clearly remembered though as the MX5 box speedo gearing is VERY different from GT6 (reads 40% low), so I really ought to do something about that….

It's possible I suppose that it was modded when NZ changed from mph to kph limits on the road in the 76/77 or so. 

In the old Holden there were a couple of stickers on the speedo to mark the main limits, but those have worn off now.

We are only the second owners of the Morrie and it's pretty original.

Related sharn, my mum had a Morrie when I was a kid, I remember the speedo needle was all over the place , including off the end of the speedo often down one particular hill, and even as a kid I remember thinking 'that's a lot of rpm mum' 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was once a passenger in a Humber 80 with the speedo needle past the fuel gauge. Anybody's guess how (in)accurate it was but it felt stupidly fast.

19 hours ago, GregT said:

Had one put in the LD converted Bedford

Wif insisted after she got pulled for speeding.

Unlikely. 

Ld anything will never get a speeding ticket 

50 minutes ago, JustHarry said:

Unlikely. 

Ld anything will never get a speeding ticket 

Ok, next time my wife is trying to give me a bollocking, I'll mention your name as a volunteer target for her abuse

In the meantime look at the thread on LD powered Bedford.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GregT said:

Ok, next time my wife is trying to give me a bollocking, I'll mention your name as a volunteer target for her abuse

In the meantime look at the thread on LD powered Bedford.

Maybe its fast compared to a horse and cart 

• Haha 1